Seattle FD crews responded to 1,538 encampment fires in 2022 1/4/2023

At least the fire loss for the city shouldn't change much. Are these classified as structural. or outside rubbish?

mack

Administrator
Big problem out here. Any similiar activity elsewhere?

These are some of the many homeless encampment fires reported within the past 2 months. There are probably countless unreported minor fires, emergencies, ODs, false alarms and EMS runs all over the US and Canada. Accurate fire statistics are not available, like most homeless and migrant data. Departments may not even have categories to differentiate homeless fire incidents which may be recorded as garbage or outdoor fires. Politicians seek funds, not facts or viable solutions. Sadly, there are fatalities associated with these incidents. There are also significant safety and health risks which cause injuries and illnesses for FFs, EMS and POs who respond to help people in homeless camps. Problems, incidents and fatalities will most likely continue to increase.

Colorado

Tennessee

California

Kentucky

Kansas

New Hampshire

Washington

Arizona

Winnipeg (Canada)

Regina (Canada)

The homeless population of Seattle/Kings Co. is estimated between 13,000 and 40,000. Considering the numbers plus the high prevalence of drugs/alcohol, smoking, mental illness, and open fires, this workload for the SFD doesn't appear that bad comparing it to a similar sized city. Arson investigations usually aren't needed unless there are injuries. Also, fire prevention would be a waste of money in this setting. Where would you put the smoke detector?

^^^^^^ Actually a Smoke Detector could be useful in certain alternate living situations like a tent ...a shack or a car etc. .....it could provide a warning....I had a friend who often would make a long car trip to visit his Son at a college....he told me after driving the distance he felt fine but sometime he would have some time to kill before the visiting hours started so he would take a nap but not feel so good after the nap with his car running in the Winter....I told him to get a home CO detector & put it in the car .....sure enough after napping he was getting a reading ......a detector placed anywhere can be a lifesaver.

Homelessness looks to be a good living- for somebody.

California has 12% of the US population and 50% of the homeless population. This is estimated to be 115,000 people. Last year California state homeless spending was $4.25 billion. This year its' budget will be $7.95 billion. This translates to $69,130 per homeless person per year.

Now, this is just a wild (WAG) guess on my part. I don't think these folks will be getting a monthly state paycheck of $5,317,
But someone is.

Last year the Oakland Fire Department responded to 816 homeless camp fires- 63 at just one location,