THE Blackout 7-13-77

33 years ago at this time .......the Blackout was 3 hours old & accompanying arson & looting was in full swing.

And to top it off, there was the Brooklyn 10th Alarm, Knickerbocker and Bleeker fire, less than a week later.  Talk about a busy month.

Lifeguard238 said:
And to top it off, there was the Brooklyn 10th Alarm, Knickerbocker and Bleeker fire, less than a week later.  Talk about a busy month.

Yes Lifeguard, the Big Brooklyn job was two weeks later. "vbcapt" has posted some great photos for us earlier on in "My Younger Buff Years" (I think around pages 3 or 4). The Blackout and That 10 Alarm Brooklyn job is what really ended the War Years. The fires for FDNY had "peaked out".

But as most know the 80s also saw a good share of work too.

Quote from a retired Battalion Chief (35th Batt). "EVEN THE RIOTS OF THE 60s DIDN"T COMPARE TO THIS".

mack

Administrator
Bronx

Bushwick

From "Blackout" web site:
"1,037 fires burned throughout the City, six times the average rate, while the fire department also responded to 1,700 false alarms."

"Neighborhoods throughout New York exploded into violence. Stores were ransacked, looted and destroyed. Buildings were set ablaze. And the police, for the most part, stood helpless."

"The 1977 Blackout came during a troubled time in New York City. The City was under tremendous financial stress, forcing government officials to cut back city services. These cutbacks fell most heavily on New York's working poor communities, since many relied on public services to ease financial hardships in a time of deep economic recession. Increased crime, which had risen dramatically in the previous decade, also added to the crisis. The summer of 1977 was known as the "Summer of Sam," named after David Berkowitz's nationally publicized murder rampage which sent the City into a state of constant fear verging on panic. When the lights went out on July 13th, unleashing what Time magazine called a "night of terror"

http://blackout.gmu.edu/events/tl1977.html
http://www.nydailynews.com/features/bronxisburning/blackout/index.html
http://abcnews.go.com/Archives/video/july-14-1977-nyc-blackout-10252811

"mack" what a Great Post. The entire history of the Blackout of 1977. Those pictures of Broadway in Bushwick is Exactly what I saw the next day. I look at that now, and its like I'm riding down there all over again. The only thing missing is the smell of the smoke throughout the air from all the previous fires.
  And I think I had posted earlier on here that the fires were "10 times" the regular number. I was wrong, I think the video said "6 times" the number of fires. But that was "6" times the number of fires for a summer night during the Peak of The War Years.
  And then who could forget "Son of Sam". A 44 magnum killer randomly picking his innocent victims. As it turned out, he was a Postal Employee working in Yonkers, with an interest in the FDNY. One of our frequent visitors to this site knew and worked with him. But that's another story.
  Once again "mack" Thank you very much. And Thanks to "68jk09" for reminding us of this historic time for the FDNY and City of New York. And to the Firefighters, Police Officers, and Co Ed Workers that helped bring back order to NYC, it's a little overdue, but "Thank You and Great Job".

I was riding with 110 Truck (Lieut. Bill Shaw & Crew) that evening.  We were out picking up the meal when we the Brooklyn C.O. started reaching out to companies for their location and status.  Companies were advising they had no power @ their quarters, etc.  The LT turned to the chauffeur and told him to get back to quarters as it was "going to be a long night."  [b]THE BEST[/b] buffing night of my life to date.  Lots of structural jobs, stores ablaze on Flatbush Avenue, looters and so forth.  Definitely an evening to remember.  Thanks Bill Shaw!

I knew Bill as a firefighter at Ladder 147; great guy and real gentleman.  His father was a BC in the 33.

Lifeguard238 said:
And to top it off, there was the Brooklyn 10th Alarm, Knickerbocker and Bleeker fire, less than a week later.  Talk about a busy month.

In George Pickett's excellent book: The Brave, he tells of a 12 alarm fire in Brooklyn around this time. It apparently started in an old church and went on to take out around 40 buildings. Would this be the same fire as at Knickerbocker and Bleeker?

Fire at Knickerbocker & Bleecker was 7-18-77  .........it started in a vacant factory not a Church.

I pulled out a box of VHS tapes I have, dusted them off and found one with footage from the 77' blackout on it. The tape is unlabeled, and has no credits on it, just titles of description. (Not sure if Sheldon Levy shot or not) I will try to put some up.............

What a night !  I was at home when the lights went out, called the CO and spoke to SFAD Steve Klien who told me to report in to work.
Drove through Prospect Park and exited on Flatbush Ave. I can still remember seeing the fire blowing across Flatbush Ave from a photo store down the block, people were walking down the middle of Empire Blvd pushing shopping carts with TVs ,one guy had a full size sofa on his cart. Very long night and even a longer day. As I was leaving the office at 1600hrs  box 998 was being transmitted I looked in the rear view mirror as I headed home huge column of smoke to the east. I thought about buffing it but drove home exhausted. Good Times !!
John

68jk09 said:
Fire at Knickerbocker & Bleecker was 7-18-77  .........it started in a vacant factory not a church.......for some excellent photos of the first arriving units & some recollections from some who were there ........go to FDNYrant.......Click on "Iron Lung " forum then go to "Knickerbocker & Bleecker"  thread.

Thanks for the info  :)

Does anybody have a rundown for Knickerbocker and Bleeker, or would it be too difficult with all that went on and how long ago it was?

Lifeguard238 said:
Does anybody have a rundown for Knickerbocker and Bleeker, or would it be too difficult with all that went on and how long ago it was?

I was putting up this vid next, but 2-uploads to YouTube went without sound for some reason. I have to re-record it I guess........

I read this on another site and wanted to pass it on.

During the Blackout of 1977, Engine 75 came upon four seperate 10-75s at the same location. On each corner was a job. The members stretched a line to each fire building and kept the stairway clear so people could leave the building. That rig pumped four lines to four seperate fires, from the same hydrant.

Quite a story. The only thing I remember coming close to that was in Bridgeport, Ct back in maybe the early 80s. There was a fire in a school, and around the block in a vacant theater. One Engine, Engine Co 2 (RIP) pumped to both fires at the same time.

But this FDNY Engine 75 story has got to be a one of a kind. What a job they did that night.

Detroit had a dwelling fire on Maine St at Halleck St early yesterday morning, E56 stretched on a vacant dwelling with the 2nd floor fully involved and a minute later reported another dwelling fire on MacKay & Halleck (1 street to the West). When the next engine arrived there, there was 2 clearly separate dwellings on MacKay. Some companies literally walked around the corner to help out on MacKay, as by then both were fully involved.