The "Father of Paramedics"

An interesting read about the start of Paramedics in NYC:

http://www.emsresponder.com/web/online/Top-EMS-News/Column--Father-of-Paramedics-Sends-the-ED-to-the-Patient-/1$9841

Column: 'Father of Paramedics' Sends the ED to the Patient

GAIL LARKIN
Staten Island Advance (New York)

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. - A little more than 35 years ago, a young physician with a vision changed your life. His June 30 passing leaves those of us in medicine with an emptiness, but at the same time, we must celebrate a life well lived and dedicated to helping you, the anonymous person who might someday be in need of care.

The early 1970s were a time a rapid change in the field of emergency medicine. It was still mostly a "scoop and run" approach - getting patients to the hospital as quickly as possible.

Even with the improved training, pre-hospital care left much to be desired. Patients often died before reaching the hospital. A young physician in the Bronx had a vision - 'Why not bring the hospital to the patient?'

Dr. Sheldon Jacobson, or "Shelly" as most of us knew him, is considered the "Father of paramedics." In 1974, he took a small group of young men working as ambulance drivers and attendants and transformed them into professionals who became the foundation upon which much of New York City's pre-hospital emergency medicine was built.

Thanks for that post catry - do you know more of the evolution into FDNY -I don't remember the exact year but I know EMS responsibility was transferred to FDNY many years ago when the City Hospital Corporation was having all sorts of response problems etc.  Also any info on how FDNY ambulance units and units assigned to particular hospitals e.g St Vincents, Roosevelt, Mother Cabrini interact with each other. I had an emergency situation a couple of summers ago while at a restaurant on 8th St off Park Avenue - Squad 18 was first on the scene followed by a Mother Cabrini Hosp ambulance which transported me to St Vincents

It was 1996. Both Cabrini and Roosevelt have closed their doors. The voluntary hospital units are in theory the same as FDNY units. They get dispatched the same way, however hospital units will try to take patients back to their home hospital.

catry said:
An interesting read about the start of Paramedics in NYC:

http://www.emsresponder.com/web/online/Top-EMS-News/Column--Father-of-Paramedics-Sends-the-ED-to-the-Patient-/1$9841

Column: 'Father of Paramedics' Sends the ED to the Patient

GAIL LARKIN
Staten Island Advance (New York)

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. - A little more than 35 years ago, a young physician with a vision changed your life. His June 30 passing leaves those of us in medicine with an emptiness, but at the same time, we must celebrate a life well lived and dedicated to helping you, the anonymous person who might someday be in need of care.

The early 1970s were a time a rapid change in the field of emergency medicine. It was still mostly a "scoop and run" approach - getting patients to the hospital as quickly as possible.

Even with the improved training, pre-hospital care left much to be desired. Patients often died before reaching the hospital. A young physician in the Bronx had a vision - 'Why not bring the hospital to the patient?'

Dr. Sheldon Jacobson, or "Shelly" as most of us knew him, is considered the "Father of paramedics." In 1974, he took a small group of young men working as ambulance drivers and attendants and transformed them into professionals who became the foundation upon which much of New York City's pre-hospital emergency medicine was built.

I believe they did an episode on ER based on the Doctor's life.

If anybody would know what season of ER that is, I"d like to check it out. Thanks.

kfd274 said:
nfd2004 said:
If anybody would know what season of ER that is, I"d like to check it out. Thanks.

I think it's Season 15, episode 14 aired on 11.5.09.

Thanks kfd274, I appreciate that and will try to get it.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
It's no Roosevelt but the old Saint Clarie's/St Vinny Midtown Hospital that closed down.
FDNY did get alot of turf back in Manhattan, but they just don't have the manpower to cover everything.

efd274 said:
Thanks for that post catry - do you know more of the evolution into FDNY -I don't remember the exact year but I know EMS responsibility was transferred to FDNY many years ago when the City Hospital Corporation was having all sorts of response problems etc.  Also any info on how FDNY ambulance units and units assigned to particular hospitals e.g St Vincents, Roosevelt, Mother Cabrini interact with each other. I had an emergency situation a couple of summers ago while at a restaurant on 8th St off Park Avenue - Squad 18 was first on the scene followed by a Mother Cabrini Hosp ambulance which transported me to St Vincents

HHC tried to run as minimal units as possible so they could turn a profit. The more units they have running the more response times go down but the more money they had to pay out. Alot of the city hospitals receive a majority of the no-insurance/welfare patients which hurt them financial wise. Even today with the city(FDNY) running EMS,  there's units that have 10-15 jobs in an 8hr tour. It comes down to needing more units. 

As for the interaction: Most units get along well with others, but would prefer to work alongside their own.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
The first NYC - EMS Paramedic class worked out of Jacobi Hospital in the Bronx, where they received some of their training. Several of the class members went on to better jobs, including doctors. One of the Doctors just died - he was running the ER at Jacobi for years.

If I remember correctly, they ran two units to start. One worked north of Pelham Pkwy & the other covered the south side. If you were to look at it, since allot of EMS disp procedures are based on NYPD - one covered the 47th Pct & the second one covered the 43rd Pct. There was no 49th Pct at that time.