Very 1st tour,

jbendick

Administrator
On Oct. 28, 1968 I worked my very 1st tour in Eng. 96 in the Bronx. According to the Book of Rules and Regulations ( Dept, Bible), Proby's are to wear their uniform to work. This was the start of several miscues. After checking the rig and tools, I was put on Assistant House Watch. 96 responded on 2600,2800 and some 3000 boxes. Everything was good until a 2800 box came in. Of course I miscounted it. It seemed that no one else counted the bells. We responded and it was MFA. Upon returning to quarters I learned how not to dismount the rig. I must have made some sight landing on my ass on Story Ave. We had a bunch of runs mostly MFAs and rubbish. While we were running around we missed a 1st due job on Westchester Ave. Finally we responded 2nd due to a 1st due job on Story Ave. We took our masks still in the box to the front of the building.. At the time, the masks were carried in the box. At the Rock we were taught to put the Face piece on one corner of the lid and the helmet on the other. Reach into the box and open the tank. Grabbing the shoulder straps, you take the mask out of the box and place it in front of you. Look behind you and swing the mask onto your shoulder. Then we took the spider face piece and put it on our face and adjusted . Finally take the rubber hose in your hand and put your palm over the coupling. As I was starting to test Rich yells put the F--king thing on and lets go. Back at quarters I got through the dishes without breaking any. At about 4AM I went up to the bunkroom. I was amazed that the guys were counting the bells in their sleep. As bells started the snoring stopped. The snoring would start up again if we didn't go. So much for my first night and thank God I didn't have to go in the next night!

Great story John, what a memory you have. Most of my first tour is a blank, except that I went in on Sunday night in E 5 when I wasn’t supposed to. I worked anyway because I couldn’t wait to be a fireman and get to ride on the rig. I brought a sandwich with me because I didn’t know if they cooked on a Sunday night. But of coarse they did and I was in on the meal that cost me a dollar. Anyone out on a meal would be out forever, their rule. It wasn’t long before box 400 came in on the bells and we responded second due at FDR drive and E 9 St. I couldn’t stop smiling all the way there hanging on to the subway handles on the back step of the 54 Mack. Watch the bump at Ave B they told me so I don’t get bumped off. A common false alarm box, and back to quarters we went ready for the next.

Just the-recognition of my first tour in the best fire department in the world, FDNY. I’m sure there are millions of stories waiting to be told guys and gals. Can’t wait to hear them.
Thanks for reading! TK

Last edited:
On Oct. 28, 1968 I worked my very 1st tour in Eng. 96 in the Bronx. According to the Book of Rules and Regulations ( Dept, Bible), Proby's are to wear their uniform to work. This was the start of several miscues. After checking the rig and tools, I was put on Assistant House Watch. 96 responded on 2600,2800 and some 3000 boxes. Everything was good until a 2800 box came in. Of course I miscounted it. It seemed that no one else counted the bells. We responded and it was MFA. Upon returning to quarters I learned how not to dismount the rig. I must have made some sight landing on my ass on Story Ave. We had a bunch of runs mostly MFAs and rubbish. While we were running around we missed a 1st due job on Westchester Ave. Finally we responded 2nd due to a 1st due job on Story Ave. We took our masks still in the box to the front of the building.. At the time, the masks were carried in the box. At the Rock we were taught to put the Face piece on one corner of the lid and the helmet on the other. Reach into the box and open the tank. Grabbing the shoulder straps, you take the mask out of the box and place it in front of you. Look behind you and swing the mask onto your shoulder. Then we took the spider face piece and put it on our face and adjusted . Finally take the rubber hose in your hand and put your palm over the coupling. As I was starting to test Rich yells put the F--king thing on and lets go. Back at quarters I got through the dishes without breaking any. At about 4AM I went up to the bunkroom. I was amazed that the guys were counting the bells in their sleep. As bells started the snoring stopped. The snoring would start up again if we didn't go. So much for my first night and thank God I didn't have to go in the next night!
Funny you mentioned counting the bells because when I was in Proby school in July, 1970, the fellow next to me in “bell class” was always getting 100%, while I was miscounting like you did & if this happened in the firehouse, I’d being turning out the company to the wrong location. I finally asked him how he was able to count them so fast & accurately? His answer: “ I was a FDNY dispatcher a month ago.”😂

Most members from the bell era knew most of the first alarm box numbers that the units were assigned to.
I remember coming off the 12 by 3 early morning housewatch and while laying in bed a box would come in over the bells. Most of our first alarm boxes were 6 and 7 hundred numbered. If the first bell rang 4 or 5 times, you wouldn’t hear any stirring but if it rang 6 or 7 times you would hear movement. Some men were out of bed before the lights went on. This was Brooklyn however where many companies had 100 or so first alarm boxes and not in many outlining areas where the units might have 4 or 5 times that number.

Most members from the bell era knew most of the first alarm box numbers that the units were assigned to.
I remember coming off the 12 by 3 early morning housewatch and while laying in bed a box would come in over the bells. Most of our first alarm boxes were 6 and 7 hundred numbered. If the first bell rang 4 or 5 times, you wouldn’t hear any stirring but if it rang 6 or 7 times you would hear movement. Some men were out of bed before the lights went on. This was Brooklyn however where many companies had 100 or so first alarm boxes and not in many outlining areas where the units might have 4 or 5 times that number.
If I remember correctly, we had to write down each box a it was tapped in, no matter where it was locate. We had a chalkboard on 1/2 of our HW desk to write each one down, but until you got used to the cadence it was hectic, since it was so busy during those years. The 3 rings helped & got the blood flowing before it came over the voice alarm.

I hope we get to hear MORE Stories from guys on this site who began their FDNY careers during a time when the bells were used.

I can remember my first, overnight invite, with the guys from Engine Co 210 and Rescue Co 2 on Carlton Ave., way back in the summer of '68.
Those bells were ringing all night long.
No sleep that night for me.
Yet not a stir from the guys in the bunkroom.

BUT - if the first digit was one that they were to respond to, they were up and getting ready as the second digit came in and before the guy on house watch yelled; "Engine and Rescue - Get Out".

I am FOREVER GRATFUL to the guys in that firehouse who gave me my First Introduction to the FDNY.
Especially, to the chaffier of Engine Co 210, nicknamed "TAD", that I met as a kid while working in my neighborhood drug store.
Also to the late, highly decorated, Lt Richard Hamilton (RIP), of Rescue Co 2.

THANK YOU ALSO to my good friend "johnbendick" this site's owner, and for beginning this topic; "VERY 1st TOUR".

Thank you to those who have contributed your stories so far.
I hope there will be more.

The first night I rode with 132 (during January 1969) was what we called Amateur Night as we had a covering officer and a fill in chauffeur (the regulars were not scheduled). Our officer was a brand new lieutenant (his first tour) and our chauffeur was nick-named Speed Racer. We had several runs that night, each one was memorable. The best was crossing Grand Army Plaza (i.e the merging of Eastern Parkway, Flatbush Avenue and Union Street) to get over to Prospect Park West. The chauffeur started laughing as we came out of Plaza Street and didn't stop until we entered Prospect Park West. The poor Lieutenant sat motionless in the cab (I'm sure praying for an end to this run).

I had been an Auxiliary FF since 1961 & primarily rode with 108 on & off thru my High school years (my marks certainly suffered) .....after the USMC I continued while on the Fire Patrol then stopped when I got appointed to the FDNY in Sept '68....... My 1st Official tour in 108 after proby school Graduation was a night tour on Siegel St......of course I arrived early & by the actual start at 1800 hrs I had a few Runs already.....around 1830 hrs we responded to Box 672 Myrtle & Marcy Aves.....we were normally 2nd Due & 102 was assigned 1st but we were coming back from another Run & arrived as 1st Truck along with ENG*230 & SQ*3....the Fire was in a couple of rooms in vacant apt in a partially occupied tenement.