Entry Level Pumper: Hmmmm - a few questions?

So I saw this on the web. The apparatus builder is advertising this as a niche rig for the departments between urban and rural. So to be fair, they are not trying to push this as being able to stand up to the rigors and wear and tear of a busy urban FD. Good for this builder Many smaller towns and localities simply cannot afford pumpers at a cost of $1 million apiece. But as I look at the attached drawing and the accompanying website with additional drawings, I am left with several questions. 1) with the transverse compartment between the cab and the full width Qmax pump, and the low hosebed shown, where are they hiding the 1000 gallons of onboard water? 2) by shifting the pump house another 48 - 52 inches back towards the rear axle, and carrying 1000 gallons of water, and twenty gallons of foam in addition to all the hose illustrated, how much loading of the rear axle have you done? By shifting more weight onto the rear axle - how does it affect braking, fishtailing on slippery roads, and “a floating “ front end.? Is a poly body that much lighter than an aluminum body? I know Alan Saulsbury was pushing Poly Bodies after he sold Saulsbury Fire Apparatus over 20 years ago but it never caught on for many reasons. I’m not being negative but these are questions I would ask the reps at a trade show. Any insight, input, or knowledge from any of our members. Thanks in advance, stay safe 7FF29921-7CD8-4850-ACF6-955028D7C821.jpeg

Bulldog

Bulldog
I must be using that new "Compressed Water" so it doesn't take up that much space! ;) I certainly agree with what you said however that there certainly niche for a truck like this if it's really what it appears to be.

The tanks are poly and are molded in strange configurations that allow transverse and through the tank storage. I have seen the low hosebed with 1000 gal capacity. Hard to believe they are using a Qmax! The rear compartments are not transverse due to the tank.

Last edited: