10/22/23 Manhattan Barge Fire Box 8420

Fire Location: West of Statue of Liberty by Caven Point, NJ.

Barge fire

E-4
L-10
B-1
Ma-1,6,9s/c
MB

MB we are just passing the bridge. Smokes pushing pretty good start out Marine 9

Wondering If JCFD has a Boat ? :unsure:

(If Not - They Should [!] )
They do have a Boat but its more like a summer boat like the seasonal ones FDNY Uses , it does have a deck Gun but not suitable for this type of Heavy Seated fire. Its moored on Washington Blvd .

Alot of you may or may not know this. The FDNY when it received some of the funding for all the new fireboats was with the concept that the FDNY big fireboats would be available for major fires in N.Y. Harbor in N.Y. Or N.J. It was part of the funding to provide firefighting and I also believe for spill control throughout New York Harbor. Before the FDNY marine unit can respond to requests to New Jersey it must be OKed, by a FDNY official.
One again it is about time the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey took a real role in the marine firefighting, rescue and spill control, for all of the Port of New York. Was nothing learned when we sadly lost those Newark Firefighters in the Autotransporter Vessel fire.
Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired.

Ah Caven Point scrapyards, how I do not miss having to park my car a mile plus away just to save my tires whenever I was working as a port agent for ships there.

Bravo zulu to FDNY Marine units on their work on containing the fire