Fleet Friday FDNY SPECIAL UNIT COMPARTMENTS

So they will all be converted to a CPC unit?

There use to be 25 SOC Support Ladders. Now it’s down to 15 and the 10 are only Decon Support Task Force. CPCs don’t do Decon Task Force. Engine companies with a SSL are the Decon Engines and the Decon stuff is on the SSL.

CPCs are not Hazmat Techs they carry a lot of the SSL stuff for removing patients but just don’t have Hazmat metering capabilities…

More then likely SSLs will be done all together

i’m surprised the squads have not gone to a tandem axle rescue pumper
You’ll never see a tandem axle squad rig in NYC. it really has nothing to do with the size of their firehouse , it’s all about the rig being to long for then to operate as a engine and be “on a hydrant “. FDNY is a “fire to hydrant “operation 95% of the time. So basically the engine belongs ON the hydrant ….not infront of the building … not in the middle of the block …ON the hydrant, tucked in out of the way for the trucks ! THE TRUCKS GET THE FRONT OF THE FIRE BUILDING ! Quite often the engine need/ will park half way up on the sidewalk just to get it out of the way so the trucks can get by. Very old and narrow streets . Double parked car ….cars parked ,way to close to the hydrant and very often car parked ON the hydrant is a real common issue in the five boroughs.

The Squad rigs are about 18” longer then the normal engine company rigs , for additional tool storage. But believe it or not the 18 extra inch make a BIG difference in getting said squad rig ON a hydrant , especially in some very old and tight neighborhoods that most of the squads live in…their first , second and third due engine box’s The squads first job is to be an engine first ….then all the SOC fluff ! When they respond to fires as ” a squad“ the usually will park their rig off the fire block or out of the way, so as to not block anyone out and also not get blocked in and be able to leave and go available asap.

Last edited:
just curious on why such a special piece of apparatus would be stuck in a hydrant. I can see if they’re first due or right around the corner of the hydrant and they’re the fastest unit to get there but I really don’t see the purpose of having a squad taking a hydrant at all. I can see them doing engine work, but I understand how FDNY works, and there’s a place for everything

just curious on why such a special piece of apparatus would be stuck in a hydrant. I can see if they’re first due or right around the corner of the hydrant and they’re the fastest unit to get there but I really don’t see the purpose of having a squad taking a hydrant at all. I can see them doing engine work, but I understand how FDNY works, and there’s a place for everything
Squad companies have normally assigned engine areas

OK I guess I understand all that. What are you guys do with the second piece if you’re out on a run already parked a couple blocks away

OK I guess I understand all that. What are you guys do with the second piece if you’re out on a run already parked a couple blocks away
if the first due squad company is out the next avalible squad responds with there own second piece

thanks everybody for the responses and answering my questions I appreciate it but I do have one off-topic questions that is kind of related, but do any of the units have snowmobiles or snow cats

thanks everybody for the responses and answering my questions I appreciate it but I do have one off-topic questions that is kind of related, but do any of the units have snowmobiles or snow cats
SnowFlake 1, Ex Sat 4😎

About 10 vehicles with Plows and some have salters.

do they have snow blowers ?
No, some may use personal ones and personal plows. Most firehouses don’t have to shovel much. Salt is dropped off by DSNY. Most firehouses are on emergency streets so plows come by a lot. Double houses with 10 firefighters get it done with shovels

Last edited:
No, some may use personal ones and personal plows. Most firehouses don’t have to shovel much. Salt is dropped off by DSNY. Most firehouses are on emergency streets so plows come by a lot. Double houses with 10 firehouses get it done with shovels
maybe get some of the convicts that are on good behavior to go out there and do that or maybe some individuals living off the system might be able to help contribute to society but that’s wishful thinking. I know there’s a few departments out there that run snowmobiles as paramedics excluding ski resorts.

No, some may use personal ones and personal plows. Most firehouses don’t have to shovel much. Salt is dropped off by DSNY. Most firehouses are on emergency streets so plows come by a lot. Double houses with 10 firehouses get it done with shovels
and some houses will probably get help from the neigborhood like here for years we had a 80 year old who would get up early to shovel our front pad