SUPER PUMPER 1

With all these major fires in Brooklyn and today in Queens, what are the saving the "Super Pumper" FOR ? I worked from time to time in the old Mack Super Pumper System and a Satellite responded, as is done now, on every 2nd Alarm. But the old Mack Super Pumper and Tender and 2 additional Satellites responded on the 3rd alarm. Why have these units if you don't use them major fires?View attachment 43607View attachment 43608View attachment 43609View attachment 43610View attachment 43611 Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired
Better to have them there and not need them rather then to need them and their not there.
However I am completely unsure why they aren't used more, could possibly the positioning apparatus 🤷‍♂️

RCL

With all these major fires in Brooklyn and today in Queens, what are the saving the "Super Pumper" FOR ? I worked from time to time in the old Mack Super Pumper System and a Satellite responded, as is done now, on every 2nd Alarm. But the old Mack Super Pumper and Tender and 2 additional Satellites responded on the 3rd alarm. Why have these units if you don't use them major fires?View attachment 43607View attachment 43608View attachment 43609View attachment 43610View attachment 43611 Captain Bob Rainey FDNY Engine 26 retired

Someone may correct me if I'm wrong but I think it has to do with Internal politics. The chief who had a vision for the unit, is no longer with the FDNY for what ever reason. The current administration doesn't really know or care what to do with it so it became an after thought.

Last edited:

HC7

We Have To Remember How Much Of A Pain The Super Pumper Is To Set Up.. Not As Easy As You Think. Even Harder To Get It Into A Good Position At A Fire w/ It Operating.

We Have To Remember How Much Of A Pain The Super Pumper Is To Set Up.. Not As Easy As You Think. Even Harder To Get It Into A Good Position At A Fire w/ It Operating.
Yes the fire at the maintenance garage it was almost 45 minutes, I think all they did was supply one or two units, if that.

RCL

We Have To Remember How Much Of A Pain The Super Pumper Is To Set Up.. Not As Easy As You Think. Even Harder To Get It Into A Good Position At A Fire w/ It OpOperating.
It is but at the same time it's not. Just thinking outside the box here, it's a big pump. It doesn't need to be in front of the bldg. If it can get a decent water supply, from whatever source, it can feed a Satellite manifold or the satellite itself. Or both. It would be great to be in front, but as an alternative feeding a satellite would work. But that's just me.