12/0/18 FDNY Union Demands a New Firehouse for Hudson Yards

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-metro-firehouse-hudson-yards-20181207-story.html?fbclid=IwAR3yF_qTYz9pFO9OWlfJxUKy_Nmcp8Wc8sfgiJH39wO-XuXISbi6f3JMLG0

I'm surprised that it's taken this long for anyone to realize this.  It's absurd that no intelligent planning was part of the original equation, but there were tons of dollars to be made when this grossly over-populated disaster was planned and plenty of high-paying jobs in the real estate industry for certain politicians who pushed the whole plan through.  Welcome to New York city.

manhattan said:
I'm surprised that it's taken this long for anyone to realize this.  It's absurd that no intelligent planning was part of the original equation, but there were tons of dollars to be made when this grossly over-populated disaster was planned and plenty of high-paying jobs in the real estate industry for certain politicians who pushed the whole plan through.  Welcome to New York city.
Key word in the above statement=Intelligent. Unfortunately, today that word is secondary to greed.

mack

Administrator
New Population from Hudson Yards  January 6, 2017

The new buildings planned for Hudson Yards, on the Far West Side of Manhattan, would qualify as a brand-new city almost anywhere else.

By the time it?s finished, the daytime population of Manhattan?s West Side is expected to grow to more than a quarter-million people, up from 157,000 before Hudson Yards got started. The nighttime population will nearly double to more than 58,000 from about 31,000, according to the latest Chart of the Week for New York from JLL.

There are 62 residential towers planned for the new district, totaling more than 23,000 apartments and condominiums.

- https://www.connect.media/new-population-from-hudson-yards/

Hudson Yards is an in-place disaster looking for a time to happen.  How is it possible that political and civic "leaders" could have pushed through zoning changes and then approved the resultant developers' plans without giving the least consideration to the life safety and critical infrastructure issues facing over 250,000 human lives (greater than the populations of many small cities) going into the Yards as well as those already in Chelsea and the emergency personnel responsible for the area?

Additionally, everything going west from about ten meters east of Tenth Avenue is landfill and that's where some of Manhattan's worst flooding occurred during hurricane Sandy which prompted the area to be designated as a flood-prone area. Again, how and why could political and civic "leaders" have pushed through zoning changes?

The same politicians and civic "leaders" were responsible for over-riding FDNY's objections to the plans for 200 11th Avenue which was built with the amenity of being able to drive a vehicle off the street, onto an elevator and up to one's apartment where it would be parked.  I'm not a fire safety expert, an architect or an engineer, but I see a potential problem where there's an 18 story residential structure with vehicles, and their gas tanks, parked in each apartment on each floor.  Aside from the problem of gasoline in every vehicle, what about potential problems with the ventilation system?

Silly questions, I guess.  We all know the answer - stuffed envelopes, and lots of them, going into the appropriate pockets and desk drawers.

To quote Mike Quill: "The public?  The public be damned."

Change a couple of the demographics, insert Long Island City and Engine 261....................