12-31-95...NEVER FORGET !

21 Years ago at 0650 hrs on 12-31-95 Lt. John Clancy LAD*127 (FF ENG*217 & LAD*103).... was killed when he plunged through a
Fire weakened 1st fl side hallway terrazzo floor into a raging cellar fire at 149-07 97 Av bet 149 & 150 Sts in a South Jamaica Queens Crackhouse............REST IN PEACE JOHN......CONTINUED PRAYERS FOR YOUR FAMILIES.....GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN !

Pictured on the u haul lot is where the 2 semi attached bldgs originally stood... the Fire bldg was closest to the factory bldg ....the exp 4 similar attached had previously been torn down ...the inside of the bldg was spilt front to rear sideways w/no access front to rear on the 1st & 2nd fls & only a small door connecting the front & rear in the cellar as well as a Bilco door in the rear....the front door went into the front half & access to the back halves was from the alleys on both sides .....if you scroll the arrow to the right the 2 semi attached remaining bldgs are of the exact same layout .... www.vpike.com/?place=149-07+97+ave+queens+ny&submit=Street+View&r=e

Last edited:
Continued Rest in Peace, Lt. Clancy. Thoughts and prayers for your family at home and on the job.

CONTINUED REST IN PEACE JOHN... I cannot make it to the site this morning for the 2019 Annual Memorial at the sad time of 0650 hrs but you are certainly NOT FORGOTTEN BROTHER !.... You did what you were supposed to do as the Second Due Truck Officer that day & led your FFs in search of indicated Life .... the odd layout split front to rear not side by side like a railroad flat was unusual placing you on a side entrance terrazzo floor which had undercut floor beams (to allow for the tiles & mud at some point ) which you had to traverse in the side hallway entrance to attain your position above but due to the undercutting previous it failed .... I will always remember it as a day i will NOT FORGET !