2 1/2 High Rise Hose

Who makes the light weight 2 1/2 you fellas are using on FDNY Engines?

I have been retired since august  from the FDNY and i believe the lightweight hose was only a pilot program and was disbanded due to kinking problems although the test companies loved it

They brought the program back.  a couple of weeks ago they were bringing the Battalions to the Division for presentations on it.
I think they made some changes to the hose jackets because of the kinking.

The FDNY has a new pilot program with lightweight 2 1/2 and 2 inch hose, this started in december. I believe the hose is made in Canada, I will verify when i go to work tonight as my unit is one of the testing companies. The hose is much lighter than previous models. The lead length is 2" with a 1" smooth bore tip. The idea of this program is to test the 2 1/2 for high rise commercial fires and the lead length of 2" in residential high rise. Since my area is residential we use 2 or 3 lengths of lightweight 2 1/2 then the lead length is the 2". It is easier to move around and seems to kink less, but there is a reduction in flow rate.

vbcapt said:
Ok, who makes it ?

I'm not sure who the manufacturer of the lightweight hose being tested in the pilot program is. I do know that for many years, KEY Fire Hose was the manufacturer who supplied most if not all of F.D.N.Y.'s hose.

http://www.keyfire.com/

I do believe it is Mercedes Hose.  The first round of testing (2 or so years ago) failed.  It kinked way too easily and the hose developed memory creases at the fold points....which led to the same ceases being were the hose failed.