3/21/23 Staten Island Confined Space Box 386

Kids lost in a tunnel under the Zoo

B-22 has items at the tunnel entrance

R-5 making entry

SID is on the phone with the kids. They have been wandering for about 25 mins low & became disoriented

R-5 has (2) members in the tunnel now.

Requesting parks department with maps of tunnels

E-156,163,157
E-165 w/ 2nd Piece
E-160 w/ R.C 5
L-79,83
L-77(Soc Support)
B-22
R-5,2
Sq-8,1
D-8
RB,SB
Tac-2
FC
CTU
HM-1
HMB
K9-01
Soc Logistics
Rebreather 1

D-8 we have all (5) children removed

Last edited:

Kids lost in a tunnel under the Zoo

B-22 has items at the tunnel entrance

R-5 making entry

SID is on the phone with the kids. They have been wandering for about 25 mins low & became disoriented

R-5 has (2) members in the tunnel now.

Requesting parks department with maps of tunnels

E-156,163
E-165 w/ 2nd Piece
E-160 w/ R.C 5
L-79,83
B-22
R-5,2
Sq-8,1
D-8
RB,SB
Tac-2
FC
HM-1
HMB
K9-01
Soc Logistics
Rebreather 1

D-8 we have all (5) children removed
E157 and TL77 10-84 too

From the FDNY Facebook page:

“We got a call for kids in a manhole. The water level was low, so they were able to go right in. They got lost in this sewer system. The dispatchers were able to get critical information from the children about where they had entered. We found their belongings at the entrance and this is where Rescue 5 began their search. A member from Rescue 5 made entry on a rope with meters and a breathing apparatus. It was a tight space. The member had to crouch down and then crawl. We had other companies start to open up manholes on Clove Road. Squad 1, Squad 8, Rescue 5, Ladder 77 and Ladder 79 all made entry into the sewer system at various points. A member from Ladder 79 opened a manhole and found four of the children. Another child was further down the line with an injured leg. We had a Firefighter go down into the manhole and assist all the children out. The children traveled about a quarter mile before we found them. This was truly a team effort between our Dispatchers, Firefighters our EMS personnel and the NYPD,” said FDNY Deputy Chief Joe Harris, recounting the scene from the rescue of five children who became lost in a Staten Island sewer.
Fire Alarm Dispatcher Moises Arias said, “I received the initial phone call; a child stated that he was stuck in a sewer on Staten Island. He was trying to give me a location but wasn’t quite sure of where he was. At that time my co-worker Dispatcher Marlind Haxhialiu, who is familiar with the area, was able to describe landmarks to them in order to pinpoint where the children entered the sewer system. We told them to start shouting for help. I kept trying to reassure them and keep them calm.”
“When I spoke to the kids, they were very frantic. I was asking them questions that would narrow down a specific location where they had entered the sewer system, based on my knowledge of that area. I was able to determine where they had entered. I relayed this information to the incoming Chief and the first due units. Those units were able to locate the children’s belongings at the entrance to the sewer. I’m glad everyone was able to work together to rescue these five children,” said Fire Alarm Dispatcher Marlind Haxhialiu.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    439.4 KB · Views: 44
Another FDNY Facebook post:

"Yesterday, FDNY Dispatchers, Firefighters, EMS and our NYPD partners worked quickly to rescue five children who became lost in a Staten Island sewer system."

Reminds me of September 1991 when 3 boys entered an air shaft of the NYC water tunnel system off 181 and Harrison Ave in the Bronx. One of them Don Re Carroll , 12 fell 500 feet down the shaft to his death. Members of Ladder 33 rescues the other two from the underground tunnels. The body was retrieved many many hours later after members entered the main tunnel from Van Cortlandnt park and traveled miles under the streets of the Bronx to locate and remove the deceased.

What Code does this even fall under?? I find it hard to belive the parents didn't notice there kids we're gone. Thank god for cellphones and NY's Bravest