6/6/2010 Staten Island - Rescue 5 in Major MVA

12:50
DIVISION 8 REPORTS AUTO ACCIDENT INVOLVING R5 - WITH ENTRAPMENT R2 NOW RESPONDING

12:52
DIVISION 8 REPORTS A MAJOR ACCIDENT INVOLVING R5 WITH ENTRAPMENT - R2 TO RESPOND

13:03
UPDATE: DIVISION 8 REPORTS RESCUE 5 IN MAJOR COLLISION WITH ENTRAPMENT - 5 MAJOR INJURY - 2 VEHICLES

13:12
DIVISION 8 HAS JAWS OF LIFE WORKING TO EXTICATE 2 VICTIMS - ALL COS WORKING

Vague at best Advance reporting as usual...i didn't even bother going to the comments section because I know i'll be angry if I do. The photo wasn't that helpful, although it kinda looked like there was one of the old Salisbury rescues in the shot. Was R5 or R2 on a spare at the time?

More importantly, any word on injuries?

That was 5. 2 never made it in. They were on the way to a 10-75 and the accident occured.

NYBravest82 said:
Vague at best Advance reporting as usual...i didn't even bother going to the comments section because I know i'll be angry if I do. The photo wasn't that helpful, although it kinda looked like there was one of the old Salisbury rescues in the shot. Was R5 or R2 on a spare at the time?

More importantly, any word on injuries?
Yes R5 has been running with a spare since their E-One went OOS a couple of days ago. BTW, the spare involved in the accident was R5's old Saulsbury.

Those comments on SILive.com are FU*KING SICKING...they make be sick to my gut and question how dumb can humanity get?!  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

There are going to be people who don't like folks in the uniformed services, regardless of what job. Some are jealous, some may have actually been wronged. They wanna shoot their yaps off, that's their right. Once they need help, the tune will change.

PS, minor injuries to at least 2 members, unknown on the civilians.

Good to hear about the lack of serious injuries though.

Maybe it had something to do with the fact the old rigs are...well...old? I know the chauffeurs as well as the rest of the guys at R5. They are upstanding and don't fool around. I seriously doubt this was their fault as we all know how most of the drivers on this island are.

FDNY150 said:
There are going to be people who don't like folks in the uniformed services, regardless of what job. Some are jealous, some may have actually been wronged. They wanna shoot their yaps off, that's their right. Once they need help, the tune will change.

PS, minor injuries to at least 2 members, unknown on the civilians.

This I understand sir...I just find they fact that when they do need help their tunes change...its hard I guess, to me at least, how they can be spitting trash out one minute and the next minute begging for Civil Service members to save them. I also find this people ignorant for example sating that alcohol was involved when I believe alcohol in a city firehouse was banned in the 1970's. If they spent just an hour and educated themselves some what maybe the world would be a better place...but what do I know I am only 17...

Simple, people like to exercise the right of free speech, no matter how vile, from the safety and anonymity of home and the keyboard. None of them would have the fortitude to come up to a MOS and say stuff like that.

Nobody in our line of work is free from criticism, or ridicule. Nor should they be. But, when accusations are thrown out that go below the belt, it's just wrong.

Folks tend to focus on the negative stuff that has happened in the job over the past 7 or 8 years. The media and the public put members of the FDNY. NYPD, EMS, PAPD up on a near celebrity height pedestal. Then, when you have incidents like what happened at 151/76, or at 75/33, or the accident with E-83/E-60, or even the one with L-83, the glossy shine goes away, and the 'heroes' become human. None of us are angels, we are all flawed. But there are those who have beef and now have an outlet to speak their minds. I say, screw em.

Hey guys, I wanna apologize for my earlier remark. What I thought was funny probably came across as offensive to some and that wasn't my intent. It really makes my blood boil when I see the FDNY get ripped on one minute and then the next people are begging for them to help. 150 said it best.

Regardless, I again apologize for my comments.

Wow 150 well said.

Did the members of R5 end up extricating the people in the CRV? Looks like Ladder 85 also in the picture.

NYBravest82 said:
... What I thought was funny probably came across as offensive to some...

Actually I found it neither funny nor offensive.  I was just wondering why a rig being "old" (if in good repair) might lead to an acccident.

So I don't think you have anything to apologize for.  But obviously someone else had something different to say, and you did the right thing by setting the record straight.