7/12/10 Fire hero saves drowning man in River Liffey, Dublin - Ireland

DFB Firefighter Denis Finnerty is being hailed a hero today after he plunged into the River Liffey & pulled a drowning man to safety in a dramatic rescue attempt yesterday. Trained swift-water rescuer was among 6 fire fire personnel involved in the Eden Quay rescue at 5:30pm.

Two fire appliances from Tara St. & one from Phibsboro Fire stations were dispatched after a member of the public raised the alarm that a man had entered the water. Hundreds of onlookers watched as the dramatic events unfolded.

Denis who is based at Phibsboro Fire Station, heroically dived in & swam to the man who was face down in the water - & CPR was preformed on the river bank. ?He was face down when I got to him, I turned him around & he was unconscious & knew he needed urgent assistance?

?Luckily an Ambulance crew were waiting by the river so I quickly swam him over so he could receive medical attention? he said. The man was then sent to the Mater Hospital where he was in a stable condition.

Denis who has worked for the Fire Service for 9 years ,is one of 800 fire personnel fully trained as paramedics. ?The jobs go hand in hand with each other so its useful, especially durning operations like these,? he said. Despite his efforts, the modest 29-year-old doesn?t see himself as a hero.

?Every operation like this is a team effort. I just happened to be the fireman that retrieved him from the river first. There are several others downstream to retrieve the victim if I?m unsuccessful. I?m just happy the man survived?.

Denis Finnerty >
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=25491&id=100000096459902&l=e669b80eb2