A Sister Ship for "The Bravest" ??

I have read three or four posts  talking about the FDNY getting another 65' boat like The Bravest.

Does anyone have any additional information on this?

Bulldog

Bulldog
Latest I read, I'm not sure where, or that it was supposed be delivered sometime early next year.  Hopefully that's true, for every day incidents it seems like the Bravest is much more usable than 343 or Firefighter II mainly because of a much shorter response time.  Most incidents certainly don't require the resources that the 2 big boats bring!

Bulldog said:
Latest I read, I'm not sure where, or that it was supposed be delivered sometime early next year.  Hopefully that's true, for every day incidents it seems like the Bravest is much more usable than 343 or Firefighter II mainly because of a much shorter response time.  Most incidents certainly don't require the resources that the 2 big boats bring!

Any idea where it will be stationed?  Fort Totten?

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
It might be kept a Marine 6 & used as a spare for Marine 1, 6, & 9. There was money on hold for this boat & with the Kane being damaged in Sandy, its needed. Remember that Marine 4 is only a summer boat. There was talk last year of trying to make it a full time/all year unit.
Remember that each of the three full time boats ( 1 - 6 - & 9) are now assigned two additional vessels. They each have an "A" vessel which is a 33' firefighting vessel & a "B" vessel which is a 30' medical vessel. 

Bulldog

Bulldog
Atlas said:
It might be kept a Marine 6 & used as a spare for Marine 1, 6, & 9.
It wouldn't make sense to spend that much money on a spare!  Spares are normally a unit that has already been in front-line service and they are retired into being spares.  My bet would be that if they purchase a copy of Marine 6 it will deftly become a full-time year-round boat.  Maybe it wouldn't have the 2 additional boats like the others do however.  In many circumstances Marine 6 is a much more versatile boat and Marine 1 and Marine 9 because of its much higher speeds meaning you can reach incidents much faster.  If anything making Marine 1 or Marine 9 and unmanned front-line boat would make much more sense.

BCR

Could it be replacing marine 1a, if I recall 1a is a few years older and not as big as the 33 ft boats the other company's got.

Bulldog

Bulldog
BCR said:
Could it be replacing marine 1a, if I recall 1a is a few years older and not as big as the 33 ft boats the other company's got.
While certainly a possibility I would certainly think that's not an extremely high probability.  It would seem like they would disperse the new bigger boats instead of a having the new 65' docked at the same place as the new Marine 1, the 343 considering they both feel basically the same mission.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
Marine 1A has been replaced by one of the new 33' vessels.  Marine 6's vessel seems to the fastest in the new fleet followed by the 33's with their triple engines. The 33's are good for getting into close to land while to 66' vessel can be used for covering the nearby ocean. It can dock at Marine # 3 quarters, but I am not sure of Marine 8 or even 4. They might need a new dock. Marine 8 uses a commerical facility while 4 is at a gvt location.  Remember that the spare is the Fire boat Smith & that's a 105' vessel that can pump 8,000 gpm, & is slow moving, dating back to the early 1960's. Only time will tell.

BCR

Is the smith the only spare boat left And Was the Kane damaged to the point that it was disposed of from sandy ?? I thought I saw some pictures from marine hq and there were quite a few spare or reserve boats in the water there but the pictures might have been a few years old needless to say the larger boats were certainly dated