Alarm box code wheel/"O'Brien" question

Frank, yes very unusual.

In all the discussion of class 3's and FDNY Special Building Boxes, how come nobody picked up that 3-692-12 was probably a West Side Highway Box.  Terminals 12 and upward were usually reserved for highways and bridges.

D

dcampagna

Slow down conspiracy theorists! ;) I can clear this up. Frank, thanks for catching the eBay ad.

1) I didn't say it was our box. But I didn't say it wasn't our box either, so that's on me.

2) The pictures definitely belong to the seller. This guy contacted me a couple weeks ago asking about the box. This is pretty normal as we get several letters a day from fire buffs and collectors. He never mentioned anything about eBay -- in fact sometimes people write to us after they buy something on eBay and they're afraid they've been ripped off.

3) We do have (at least) one other box here exactly of this style, exact same mechanism, but I have been able to find out very little about it.

4) The code wheel thing was driving me crazy, especially that I've never seen a number sequence of that type.

So I decided to post it here, hoping you guys might know more about it and save me a trip to the Rock or City Archives.  Even though I still don't know who actually manufactured the unit (I suspect Gamewell sub-contracted it out, but to whom?) but did learn all sorts of interesting stuff that will go into our records here. So all your help has been great and much appreciated.

I am annoyed that this guy simply wanted to get info for his eBay ad. It happens more than I'd like to admit and it really goes up my a**. Sometimes people act like they're going to make a donation and then I see my email pasted verbatim into an auction on eBay.

For the record, I haven't written the seller yet and at this point have no plans to.. However, the box number will be valuable to whoever wins the auction.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
FDNY in the past would honor former bureau bosses by naming different fire post after them. If you were to check, the O'Brien post was named after Asst. Chief Thomas O'Brien, Chief of Communications in the early 60's.

D

dcampagna

Atlas said:
FDNY in the past would honor former bureau bosses by naming different fire post after them. If you were to check, the O'Brien post was named after Asst. Chief Thomas O'Brien, Chief of Communications in the early 60's.
Honestly, a fascinating piece of history (to me, anyway). I did make an O'Brien connection but I never would've known what it meant -- thank you.

Also, thank you 811 for the West Side Highway info.

This may be opening an ugly can of worms, but is a private citizen selling an FDNY alarm box even legal? Isn't it still technically City property? Or is is so much a technicality that nobody really cares?

It would seem to me it depends on where/how he got it.  The city sells surplus stuff all the time, and if he bought it that way, it's his to do with as he pleases.  If he got it by midnight requisition, that's another matter . . . 8) ;)

M

mmattyphoto

nycfm-damon, when you need real info check with Chief Jack Lerch at the Mand Library at the Rock.

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
The name O'Brien comes from the former commanding officer for FDNY Fire Communications - Assistant Chief of Department Thomas O'Brien. He was honored by fire communications when they named the fire alarm post after him. He was in the job in the late 50's & early 60's.

Remember the FDNY award that is given out yearly is the Asst. Chief Thomas P. O'Brien Award.