Ambulance Coverage

vbcapt said:
Citywide, about how many FDNY ambulances are staffed daily ?

Deano, I think it varies from about 100 to 130 or so depending on the time of day. I know the latest book by Jim Griffinths has it listed. (Of course now I can't remember the name of the book, and now I know exactly how "Johnd248" feels when he can't seem to remember anything). I have the book at my part time job and I'll get the info for you if nobody else has it before then.

mack

Administrator
Per the 2009 FDNY Annual Report:

"FDNY EMS dispatches 543 FDNY ambulance tours and an additional 378 participating hospital ambulance tours City-wide per day on average."

Report also indicates 445390 EMS runs that year with 6 min 40 sec response time avg.

mack said:
Report also indicates 445390 EMS runs that year with 6 min 40 sec response time avg.

These numbers might be for CFR Engine response Not EMS. FDNY-EMS average is roughly 1.5 million a year.

Fire Department of New York, an operational reference by James Griffiths has several pages devoted to ambulance locations pages 268 to 274. Deployment is Tour 1 (midnight) 246. tour 2 (day) 360, tour 3 (evening) 360 for a total of  966. This includes municipal and volunteer both ALS/BLS.

grumpy grizzly said:
Fire Department of New York, an operational reference by James Griffiths has several pages devoted to ambulance locations pages 268 to 274. Deployment is Tour 1 (midnight) 246. tour 2 (day) 360, tour 3 (evening) 360 for a total of  966. This includes municipal and volunteer both ALS/BLS.

Thanks Grumpy, that's the book I was talking about. But I sure was off on those numbers.

Deano, that's a Great Book that James Griffiths puts out. As "Grumpier" says its called "Fire Department of New York, an operational reference". For guys like us, its a Necessity of Life. I know you can get it from the Bravest site www.thebravest.com and www.fire-police-ems.com in Mass. Or maybe the Fire Zone in NYC.

These figures are probably skewed because they inclue hospital ambulances. As far as "municipal" ambulances the figures are (ALS/BLS) Man 10/26, Bnx 20/41, Bkn 26/56, Qns 15/31, and SI 4/7.

mack

Administrator
tl-ff and Grumpy are correct.  I should have looked at the entire 2009 Report.  http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/pdf/publications/annual_reports/2008_2009/2008_2009_annual_report.pdf

Page 6 - 445,390 -  Medical Emergencies  (life threatening)

Page 21 gives more details:
EMS incidents -1,224,743  EMS runs - 1,385,129 
Fire med emergencies:  incidents - 209,547  runs - 231,229
EMS (life threatening):  incidents - 445,390  runs - 550,611
EMS (total runs):      incidents - 1,224,743    runs - 1,385,129
Response time:  med emergency fire - 4:14    EMS unit life threatening - 6:40    EMS/fire combined life threatening - 5:45

P 23 gives EMS tour details:
933 - Avg total number of ambulance tours per day
            585 - "municipal  tours" (does not indicate if this is FDNY only or FDNY and contracted tours)
            349 - "voluntary tours" (no definition)

2254 runs - busiest ambulance

Page 23
E 257 - 2410 med responses in 2008 - mos EMS runs

Thanks "mack", Excellent Post. I'd say its a pretty busy dept. FDNY/EMS you sure earn your pay. Carrying those patients down those four or five flights of stairs, or up those long subway stairs I'm sure is No Picnic on some of those Hot Humid August Days. Or loading somebody into the "Bus" from those cold snow covered streets.

The FDNY/EMS protects Millions of people every day. Those who live there, work there, or visit there. You really are Heros. And I say "Thank You" for the job you do.

And lets not forget the other ambulances that also serve the public.

Here is one I'll never forget. It was New Years day morning, 1985 I think, working 0700x1500. We started out and went directly for a container of coffee. Well the lids came off and we received a job for an injury in a 12th floor apartment in the housing projects around E117 street and the FDR drive. We hauled in the chair, o2 bag, trauma bag, etc. only to find that the elevators were out of service. Up to the 12th we walked and sure enough there was a fellow with a legitimate injury. His ankle was definitely fractured. After splinting and so on we loaded him into the chair and began the descent from the 12th floor, across the courtyards and to the bus. I asked him how he did this and he explained that he fell over a piece of furniture during the night. He then went into detail stating he did it at a friend's home so he limped and crawled to his building, somehow got to the 12th floor and called 911. "Did you ever think of calling from your friend's house or having someone call from the street level?" asked my partner. "Gee, I never thought of that" he replied. What a way to start the year, the day and the tour. By the way, by now the coffee was cold. Happy New Year.

Thanks Memory. Great story. Just an idea, maybe you should start a thread on EMS stories, not only with the FDNY but let others join in from other parts with their stories from their own location. Got a feeling in time, it could surpass the stories in that "My Younger Buff Years" thing, now with over 60,000 views.

Thank you NFD. However, 90% of the stuff that went on would make people say, "This guy is dreaming..." The average person wouldn't believe it. I thought about writing a book about 25 years in NYC EMS called "You can't make this shit up." Sometimes when I think about it, I think the same damn thing.

Memory you're 100% right. I did 10 years (voluntaries not NYC*EMS or FDNY) but I think the same thing everyday. Who would believe the things we saw?

hi
i'm a french ems and i've got some questions.
i'd like to know how is the dispatch working in NYC.
-  i know ambulances have waiting areas, but are they all located by GPS ?
- do dispatchers send the nearest ambulance thanks to a GPS ?
- what kind of messages are transmited by radio (whereas others by status/computer) ?
- do ambulances receive calls by radio or on computer ?
- can ALS ambulances respond to a call on their own or are they always with a BLS ?
- do CFR engines always respond in first to a call in their areas if available ? or just to some kind of calls ?
- what is the medical equipment of an engine ? (defibrilator? tourniquet ? tensiometer ?,...)
- where can i find a list of ALS and BLS equipment ?

thank you very much if you can answer me !!

Lets see if I can help you Jeff. I have been retired for almost 3 years so some things may have changed a bit;

1.      The Operations section at Headquarters set up the locations that the ambulances sit. They are known as "C.S.L.'s" which translates to Cross Street locations. When an ambulance is within a three block radius of their CSL the crew transmits, via MDT, a 10-89 signal. When the ambulance moves the longitude and latitudes change so the dispatcher knows just about where they are.

2.      Yes the dispatcher will send the nearest ambulance to the call. The ambulance covering that particular area may be on assignment already, so the next closest available unit is sent. Now say the ambulance on a call already is ALS and and the new call requires ALS response, the closest available ALS will be sent along with the closest BLS due to the fact that there are more BLS than ALS and their response time may be greater.

3.      Usually the dispatcher will call the unit(s) and give them the job verbally and then send the job via the MDT. If it is busy the dispatcher may just say XXX you have a job coming over and just send by MDT.

4.      There are some calls that ALS is the only one assigned. Should they need assistance they will request a BLS. Some calls, such as cardiac arrest, trauma, mva's with a reported pin, etc. will receive ALS, BLS, Conditions Car (Lt. or Capt.) and a CFR engine company. MVA's with pins will get a first alarm assignment from FD including a Rescue Co. and Squad Co. as well as a Battalion Chief.

5.      Enine Co's carry a defib, oxygen, trauma bag and long board.

6.      You may possibly find the New York State basic list of equipment carried by ambulances at the NYS DOH web site. Please be advised that FDNY EMS carries additonal stock that supercedes the basic required by NYS.

Hope this helps.