AMBULANCE SIRENS, MT. SINAI

http://www.wnyc.org/story/no-youre-not-imagining-it-some-nyc-ambulances-sound-different/

No, You're Not Imagining It - Some NYC Ambulances Sound Different

The original electronic sirens in the late seventies had a hi lo option and we had a lieutenant in L 112 who used it all the time from start to finish along with extra heavy horn usage. I don't know if he was more afraid of civilian traffic or his chauffeurs.

I seem to recall the job testing European-style hi-lo horns on (then) 18 Engine many years back.

Bulldog

Bulldog
NYC and many other areas are too concerned about being PC and not disturbing the public.  Everyone who is ever been in the fire service very long nose at a federal Q2B is the most penetrating siren out there, significantly better than any electronic siren made.  Combine that with air horns in everybody will get out of your way in here you!  Yet FDNY and many other organizations have banned Q2B sirens!

You could have an old air raid siren on the rig and these "it's all about me" mentally challenged motorists still won't yield.

This is generally what we have in the UK, this is the fire and rescue service I am now with, Hertfordshire.

Whale, yelp, hilo, (very rarely used) and air horn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tinx0VsdYEw

JG

Bulldog said:
NYC and many other areas are too concerned about being PC and not disturbing the public.  Everyone who is ever been in the fire service very long nose at a federal Q2B is the most penetrating siren out there, significantly better than any electronic siren made.  Combine that with air horns in everybody will get out of your way in here you!  Yet FDNY and many other organizations have banned Q2B sirens!

Anyone remember the Federal Pulsator?  The NYPD had them mounted there RMP roofs with heavy duty alternators due to the extreme amp. power draw.