Battalion Chiefs

B

BYKERHILL

Hi all
Just wondering if FDNY have a system for using " Reserve battalion chiefs " during exeptional conditions in the same way as they use reserve engine and ladder companies in the 5xx 7xx  series ?

If so can anyone kindly confirm which BC numbers they may be allocated

In answer to your question about using Reserve Battalion Chiefs, several years ago, I remember during the busy Fourth of July nights, the FDNY added extra Battalions. As I remember, they were referred to as Batt 71, and 72. But haven"t heard that in a long time. I"d say that was maybe in the 1980s.

HCO

FDNY does not have "reserve" battalion chiefs in the same sense there are reserve engines, ladders, rescues, and squad i.e. there are no dedicated reserve battalion vehicles.  When needed, usually for a preplanned event, ad hoc battalions may be activated using spare vehicles.  The Starfire CADS has several battalion numbers in the 70 series for use in this instance.

HCO said:
FDNY does not have "reserve" battalion chiefs in the same sense there are reserve engines, ladders, rescues, and squad i.e. there are no dedicated reserve battalion vehicles.  When needed, usually for a preplanned event, ad hoc battalions may be activated using spare vehicles.  The Starfire CADS has several battalion numbers in the 70 series for use in this instance.

Can you talk about the spare vehicles?  How many? What kind? Where are they stored etc.

The spares are just that, the spare '94 and '01/'02 SUVs.  They're stored the same place other spares are stored, the Shops.

Battalion 71 was activated for the WTC PATH station drill a few months back as acting Battalion 1.

catry said:
The spares are just that, the spare '94 and '01/'02 SUVs.  They're stored the same place other spares are stored, the Shops.

Battalion 71 was activated for the WTC PATH station drill a few months back as acting Battalion 1.

Great. Thanks Catry.

B

BYKERHILL

OK
Thanks for the replies
i have a clearer picture now