Biggest change in the fire service over the past 50 years

What has been the biggest change within the fire service over the past 50 years?

• Firefighter diversity - gender, ethnicity, education, language capabilities, size etc.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • EMS - response responsibilities, training, certifications, equipment, tools

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Communications - individual radioes, PASS, computer aided dispatch, etc.

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Apparatus technology - tower ladder, platforms, pumping capabilities, fireboats, etc.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Drop in fire responses

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Training/Certification- individual and unit training programs, state certifications, etc.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Gear/Uniforms - turn-out gear, bunker gear, PPE, duty uniforms, boots

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Tools - forcible entry, cutting, lifting, carrying, etc.

• Breathing equipment - SCBA, mask procedures

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Incident control procedures

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mack

Administrator
The fire service has changed since pre-War Year days.  If you walked into a firehouse in 1960, you would see a red pumper, a hook and ladder with tiller, wooden aerial and life net, a few tools on each rig.  If an alarm was received, it was a response for a reported fire or an alarm boxed pulled.  The fire service across our nation, even internationally, has seen dramatic changes.  If you were on the job in 1960 and went into a firehouse today, what would be the biggest changes you would discover? 

As a Boston buff and now a Chicago buff I have a few comments. COMMUNICATIONS, the use of hand held radios is of supreme importance. You need to trll second due engine to drop a line, the third to find a supply hydrant, second due truck to the the rear. SCBA. Rated for 60 lasts 30-45 on a good day  TOWER LADDERS  both FDNY/MACK design and tje follow ons from E-One and Pierce. You have a pre-connected waterway with a rescue basket for civilians. :)

Bulldog

Bulldog
Unfortunately I don't believe all of these changes have been in the overall best interests of the fire service.  The concepts of them are but the implementation of some of them has provided as many negatives as positives.  This is especially true in the volunteer fire service where the additions has made it very difficult in some cases.  Many of these changes have increased costs significantly without a corresponding benefit.  The cost of the apparatus is certainly one prime example of this, are today's trucks actually any better than previous generations trucks for putting out a fire?  In many cases the increased costs have been compensated for with a reduction in manpower which is unfortunate.

The Fire Dept isn't the "Fire Dept" anymore. Some areas of the country call them the Dept of Public Safety which is probably a more fitting title nowadays between EMS, Hazmat and terrorism all of which requires additional specialized equipment. And then there is OSHA and their requirements. Rigs with larger pumps, larger hose and more weight. And in the end, it still comes down to people to execute all these tasks. Physical tests are more demanding requiring these people to be in much better shape yet injuries seem to be on the rise.

Lets see how demanding the FDNYs physical will be when they finally get a test going that is agreeable to those they cater to.........also i think the modern day apparatus are way overdone.......closed cabs & riding areas are good but i wonder about a lot of the lighting & other gadgets they come with that seem to become more of a maintenance issue or just left unused.....i am not saying go back to wooden ladders but there is some happy medium that would allow the job to be done for a lot less money .......the same goes for some ppe provided especially by the present quartermaster system in NYC.....a lot of stuff is considered disposable because it was crap in the first place......buying something quality saves money in the long run......i am not looking to save money so it can be used in some bullshit program but if it was used for FF salaries/benefits i think it would be better spent. JMO.

I must agree with Bulldog on the apparatus and manpower issues. The decision makers and standards makers are going to drive us into bankruptcy with some of these ridiculous fire trucks and their associated costs. NFPA is the repetitive, poor & tired excuse I hear on a regular basis. Some folks are more interested in how a firetruck looks at a convention so they can keep up with the Jones's or brag to their buddies, rather than building a functional apparatus to fit the needs of a particular Dept. or neighborhood. Bigger is NOT always better !! 

I may have to leave this site. The question posted was the biggest changes in the service. Tower Ladders, it is 3 in the morning, you are first due at a 10-75 in a four story. A normal aerial will have to position its aerial with secind/third engines have to supply a PUMPING water scource. Put a TL in front of the fire building, have a second due engine supply the rig and it is blue stuff on the red stuff with very little use of available rescources (10-75  companies). SCBA the age of leather lungs is gone. COMMUNICATIONS, if you cannot tel who to do with what you are screwed. I answered this post from the OUTSIDE world, i I offended this site I will sign off. GG :mad: :mad: :mad:

The biggest change is more use of defensive operations. Guys just don't go in anymore. Aggresive interior attacks are a thing of the past out here in the Pacific Northwest. Primary searches are also not being done. There was a fire out here recently where the responding FD said it could not enter the structure because it was too hot while a trapped civilian was being rescued by civilains via a portable ladder.

1261,,, That doesn't sound like a change in the fire service.  Perhaps those guys need to review their oath when the signed up.

Came on 3/30/60. Made Lt. 8/69. From 1/70 to 5/76 assigned to two engine companies in the S. Bx, 50 and 82.  Changes that I saw that made the difference were HT's, from only the BC and aide to officers and members in companies. Power saws. Ladders 3. Training bulletins that came from the busy days e.g. Power Saw bulletin came from Bob Farrell, Captain L31, Ladders 3 from John O'Reagan, Captain L26 etc. etc. The greatest change which saved many firefighter lives at operations and in later years were the tower ladders. May sound corny but I have always believed that it was divine providence that brought the towers into the FDNY when they did. I have no idea how we would have operated during the 70's without them. As Flood wrote (again)in his book, just one area in the Bx (Soundview) had 940 residential and commercial buildings in 1970. In 1980 there were 9 left standing.Listen to the tapes of the 70's and all you hear at jobs is "special call a tower, or another tower." When Gasoline Gomez did his deeds he would set his fires in rear rooms, knowing that we couldn't use the towers. God bless the towers.

811. You are so right, the job ain't like delivering the fucking mail, getting it wrong, and getting a pension ;D

On a more human-interest listing not directly related to the fire service but how about; MICROWAVE OVENS!!!! If the coverinf company did not eat your meal in the oven at least you had a chance to re-heat/warm it up. :) :) :)