Boston 6-3-67

On June 3 1967 Ladder 4 was dispatched to Box 2141, Dudley Square today. The box was a  false alarm and the box was wound. As companies began to return to quarters gunfire rang out. Lt Joseph Donovan was hit and fell to the street. With complete disregard for their own safety FF's John Gaddis, William Pedro and Walter Austin left the protective cover of their apparatus and dragged Lt Donovan to safety where he was placed in a chief's car and transported to a hospital. For their actions FF Gaddis received the Walter Scott medal for Valor while FF's Pedro and Austin were placed on the Roll of Merit. Because of the hand injury he received Lt Donovan could not return to active fire supression duties and spent the rest of his career at HQ's.Lt. Donovan was my uncle.

Interesting story Grump. First, glad you're feeling better. I guess it was pretty tough there for awhile.

The streets of Boston were tough in those days as firefighters became targets for rocks, bottles, and as you point out, even gun fire. Just about every major US city was seeing similar incidents. NYC, Chicago, Newark, L.A., Cleveland, Detroit, Washington, D.C., even here in Connecticut - Hartford. Roofs were added to open cabs and back steps of rigs as a form of protection.

From the late 60s and into the late 80s, many cities across America saw a big increase in their arson fires. They were very tough years for the American firefighters of the inner cities. For awhile in Bridgeport, Ct some firehouses had a police car assigned to them. They would follow the apparatus to the calls as a form of protection. During some of the riots, the National Guard was brought in to patrol the streets.

The FDNY had an entire circular developed on dealing with these riots. I think "macks" father was heavily involved in writing that policy. As I remember, it was All Units Circular # 138. 

mack

Administrator
Grump - glad you are feeling better.

Too bad about your uncle. Tough times.

A lot of bad things happened responding to false alarms.  Mike Carr, E 85, 1969, LODD. RIP.