Boxes

With regards to  a box location, if i was to use a simple box such as manhattan Box 803, Broadway at W44 street, what kind of distance around the box location is covered 'as that box'(as regards the first due engine/truck for that box).

As the first due engine company for that box, would they have everything north of the box as their first due, or south of the box, or an eqeal distance around the box taking into account the dynamics of the location.

The next box south of 803 is 796, Broadway and W42 st, both these boxes have different 1st due engines, but are next to each other, at what point geographically on the Brdwy does box 803 stop been 803 and become then box 796??

Hope that makes sense!!!

Cheers in advance.

JT

I don't know the true answer to your question; but it would be logical in the specific instance you cite to say the dividing line would be 43 St.  Maybe one of our more knowledgeable members can tell me if I'm right or wrong.

When the system was installed the order of arrival was based on direct distance (as the crow flies) to the box location. Obviously some adjustments had to be made to account for natural boundaries (e.g., bodies of water) and traffic choke points (bridges.)

There is a project in the works that will redefine the alarm assignment for every box based on driving distance and take into account traffic patterns, speed limits, etc. It's called BARB and is described on page 3, section 3 of this document:

http://www.deccanintl.com/PDF/fdny_press_release.pdf

Thanks Frank.

By the way, Soho trucking type person, if in doubt. ask Frank!! ; http://www.fdnewyork.com/

A wealth of info for you, including your last collapse response question. just another resource. respect these guys, dont knock them!!! Ive met their brehtren and drank with em, what a bunch of guys...

JT

I know that you must be pulling someone's leg. Correct? If not, then I must break this to you gently....Engine 2 was disbanded years ago.

I hope this BARB is not another $ wasting  F.UP like utc, etc, etc.......the last thing needed in NYC when the threat of budget cuts is in the forefront of bloombags retarded itinerary........."if it aint broke dont fix it"........the current system is OK in my book individual issues can be finetuned......but an across the board re-vamp?????? JMO

They had implemented BARB in SI the year before you retired, Chief. They were starting it in the Bronx in the Summer of 08, and it was suspended. I'm not sure what the status of it is now. I do remember a number of my friends in the field asking me about boxes they were losing/gaining, etc. I just told them, appeal every single one you don't agree with.