Brief video of Command Technical Unit Activity

Here is a link courtesy of the Bravest showing training at Fort Totten with CTU.

http://www.thebravest.com/FDNYNewsArchive/09/0609/8b.htm

The technology holds great promise.  Eventually I see the whole Command Post activity computerized.  Think about it, firefighters and officers sign in to their shifts using thumb prints on the computer.  An alarm is sounded, companies are assigned to the box, ant the Chief immediately sees on the screen the companies assigned, color coded  by engine, truck, squad, rescue etc, and the Chief knows immediately the personnel associated with each company.  Great stuff!

you're right - great stuff!  I read today where they are putting GPS devices in the shoes of people who have alzheimers so they can be tracked down, if and when they get lost. Sounds like a good application for fire fighters as well - particularly when they enter a building with a fire going on.

First person to be outfitted with GPS in his shoes should be nfd2004; that way his brother can find him and keep him out of trouble. :) :) :) :)

The problem with technology is when it screws up (i.e. everytime CADS goes down).  Then you better hope you have some people on hand who can still do things the old-fashioned way.

Remember every properly designed computerized system has to haver several layers of redundancy and backup.

This is true but there are certain anomalies that are never anticipated and always crop up.  I deal with this first hand everyday with my IT manager at work.  I'm sure the FDNY system went through beta testing and the like but not every eventuality etc. can be anticipated by the designer.  Often times the software designer is not really familiar with needs of the end user - they are somewhat on a macro level but generally not on the micro level. And I have only seen this get worse as the years go by with training manuals and the like - ok I just vented - feel like a roofman!!

Bulldog

Bulldog
efd274 said:
you're right - great stuff!  I read today where they are putting GPS devices in the shoes of people who have alzheimers so they can be tracked down, if and when they get lost. Sounds like a good application for fire fighters as well - particularly when they enter a building with a fire going on.
The only problem with true GPS is that they must have a clear view of the sky to operate those they would not be effective for firefighting operations, especially in New York.  There are hybrid systems that use both GPS and radio signals (through triangulation) to determine location. 

johnd248 said:
First person to be outfitted with GPS in his shoes should be nfd2004; that way his brother can find him and keep him out of trouble. :) :) :) :)

Sorry for the actions of my friend johnd248. He knows not what he says. If you know him, I"m sure you"ll understand.

kfd274 said:
Here is a link courtesy of the Bravest showing training at Fort Totten with CTU.

http://www.thebravest.com/FDNYNewsArchive/09/0609/8b.htm

The technology holds great promise.  Eventually I see the whole Command Post activity computerized.  Think about it, firefighters and officers sign in to their shifts using thumb prints on the computer.  An alarm is sounded, companies are assigned to the box, ant the Chief immediately sees on the screen the companies assigned, color coded  by engine, truck, squad, rescue etc, and the Chief knows immediately the personnel associated with each company.  Great stuff!

Here is a follow up on this post. It talks about the FDOC at Metro where the info is relayed.

http://www.thebravest.com/FDNYNewsArchive/09/0609/9b.htm

Also found this link describing the center.

http://www..com/fdny_fire_department_operations_center.html