Chief Attacked

NYPD Daily Blotter

By LORENA MONGELLI, JESSICA SIMEONE and REBECCA HARSHBARGER

Last Updated: 3:55 AM, July 9, 2011

Posted: 2:55 AM, July 9, 2011
More Print

Bronx

Two hotheaded brothers attacked an FDNY chief who had served them an eviction notice in Claremont, law-enforcement authorities said.

William and Larry Ambrister went ballistic after spotting the 56-year-old fire chief's vacate order on their home on Jefferson Place and Boston Road at 12:27 p.m. Wednesday, shoved him into the residence and slugged him in the face.

Cops caught William. His brother was on the lam last night.

I was listening to this incident on the radio on Wed. CAR 13B requested the PD for an altercation they were involved in. They also requested a BN & the company who's administrative district it was.The BOX used for this incident was 2741 & the address was 669 Jefferson Pl. (illegal SRO's)
D-6 requested the Fire Marshal's respond and stand by while the vacate was enforced.

Forgive my ignorance, but what in the world is an FDNY Chief doing serving an eviction notice?  Don't they have process servers for that?  In my neck of the woods, the Sheriff serves ALL legal paperwork.

Bulldog

Bulldog
raybrag said:
Forgive my ignorance, but what in the world is an FDNY Chief doing serving an eviction notice?  Don't they have process servers for that?  In my neck of the woods, the Sheriff serves ALL legal paperwork.
The same thought came to my mind!  Certainly don't see any reason at all he should be doing that.

Most likely it was a Vacate Order rather than an eviction notice.

raybrag said:

I was listening to this incident on the radio on Wed. CAR 13B requested the PD for an altercation they were involved in. They also requested a BN & the company who's administrative district it was.The BOX used for this incident was 2741 & the address was 669 Jefferson Pl. (illegal SRO's)
D-6 requested the Fire Marshal's respond and stand by while the vacate was enforced.

It was not an eviction

Bulldog

Bulldog
While I understand the difference between an eviction and a vacate order I still don't understand why a chief executes a vacate order.  He's not a law enforcement official in any sense of the word into telling somebody they have to leave or they live is certainly going to result in violent confrontations quite often.  The laws that are being broken that lead to a vacate order our civil laws based on zoning, building codes and other CofO issues.  It seems like in the worst case it should be the fire marshals doing this job certainly not chief officers.  Of course then again in NYC the police department also has rescue equipment unlike any place else in the nation!

All uniformed members and officers (except marshals) are designated Peace Officers under the NYS CPL Article 2, Section 2.10, Paragraph 28, and the NYC Administrative Code Section 15-116.

They can and do enforce vacate orders.

Just like we can issue tickets for cars parked on hydrants. Ive issued vacate orders before while on BI. We will special call the Batt chief and they will come down and issue it to the owner.

FD347 said:
All uniformed members and officers (except marshals) are designated Peace Officers under the NYS CPL Article 2, Section 2.10, Paragraph 28, and the NYC Administrative Code Section 15-116.

Wait, So all FDNY Firefighters are peace officers?

mercurygrandmarquis1 said:
FD347 said:

Wait, So all FDNY Firefighters are peace officers?

That is correct sir and have been for many, many, many years!

mack

Administrator
Is Chief Joseph Woznica, formerly a Deputy Chief (Division 11) and currently Deputy Assistant Chief of Fire Prevention?  There is more to this story.  He is a high ranking guy.

I believe in some, maybe most, states you have to be a peace officer to enforce the fire code. Which makes me wonder: are fdny's fire inspectors peace officers? as I understand they are civilians?