Death of Seymour Schenker

Sad to pass along the death of Seymour Schenker. Got word today (May 3, 2020). I don't have any further details.

So sorry to hear of his passing. He was a very familiar and distinct voice on the Brooklyn Fire Radio during the 'War Years". Prayers for Fireman Schenker and his loved ones. Rest in peace Brother.

RET FF SEYMOUR SCHENKER.
I recd this email from Newt Tanner the President of the FDNY CYCLE CLUB regarding the Passing of Seymour Schenker an actual WW2 Veteran as well as a Brownsville BKLYN War Years Veteran ........Newt certainly sums everything up about Seymour ...........QUOTE.....WebCycleNews (webcyclenews@aol.com)
To:you (Bcc)

Members and Friends~~

It is with heartfelt regret, yet a heart filled with great memories, that I inform you of the passing of Seymour Schenker, one of the most legendary and colorful members in FDNY history, which occurred on May 2nd.

Beginning any narrative that referred to "Seymour" brought instant recognition of who it was you were talking about; no last name, no company reference, no other attachment was required. He was a decades-long prominent member of the Cycle Club, and an honorary member of every other organization around The Job, even referred to by a few of those organizations' leaders as an "honored honorary".

I was one of those a little closer to him than many, though that friendship developed after he'd already become known for his unique persona and was on the way to even greater heights of notoriety, albeit respected notoriety, during his last couple of years on the "back-step" of Engine 231, before getting the seat in the Battalion car and becoming "44-Seymour". Among the wisecracks and jolly comportment, it was already known that he was absolutely serious about his duty as a fireman, having turned away several medal-worthy write-ups, explaining that making a save--or other hairy exploit--was his job; nothing more, or, on occasion with the quip "if my wife found out she'd be really upset". His wife, Sheila (who now survives him), a wonderful, spirited gal, and my (now late) wife, Paula, were also good friends, both jokingly nominated for "Sainthood" for putting up with us.

"Seymour stories" are way too numerous to relate in a notice like this, but I'll pass along a couple that should evoke a smile.

Though by the end of his active career he was an internationally-known figure, Seymour was undeniably a product of Brooklyn. Born and raised in the area he later fought fires in, he could tell you much about the characters he grew up around, where they lived, the history of the area; you got a complete picture when he related a story. He was also very good at characterizations, one very noteworthy being of our former club president Jackie Boyle. Anyone who knew Jackie fairly well could easily be rolling on the ground when Seymour launched into a "Jackie story", even, with a wink and a grin, the sometimes-irascible Jackie himself.

The last job of his career was as Aide to Asst. Chief Brian Clinton, Chief of Training at "The Rock". In recognition of his exploits and devotion to duty, he was given a regular slot to make a presentation to each Proby class, comprising "war stories", anecdotes, and serious talk about the responsibilities those "kids" would be shouldering as FDNY Firefighters.

Entertaining emergency service personnel, from "big bosses" to "back-steppers" from everywhere in the world was a part of the job he absolutely loved. As our mutual friend Ira Hoffman once put it "Those four letters, FDNY, are a magic password to anyone anywhere". Visitors who got to meet and hang out with Seymour for even a few hours would come away with a true feel for the place they were visiting and heightened respect for the Department and its members.

Many also know of his generosity towards children, particularly his work with developmentally-challenged kids at a center in the Spring Creek area of Canarsie. From providing toys, games, educational materials, to outings (many times involving firehouse visits or having apparatus appearances at the facility), he gave a huge boost to improving their lives, bringing other FDNY members into the effort as well. Again, he was humble in his acceptance of recognition, describing his efforts as his duty to help.

As a World War 2 Veteran having served in the South Pacific, Seymour actively supported Vet groups out on Long Island, where he'd moved. He was proud of being able to also lend his support to the Boy Scouts and other civic programs. There too, recognition was accepted as part of the job of being a good citizen.

I could go on for hours and hours, likely days and weeks, with Seymour Stories, and not even fill a thimble's worth with what his many other friends and associates could tell you. One of my own most significant attachments to him was that back in 1971 he was my sponsor for membership in the Cycle Club. There's a full-circle-story...

Now, at the end of his distinguished life, it's a sad reality that because of current societal restrictions on the size of gatherings, the "sendoff" he most richly deserves can not take place. It is hoped that when the dust settles, and the "under control" can be broadcast for the disease that took him from us (yes, corona did it), there will be a fitting memorial service.

On behalf of the New York Firemen's Cycle Club--and myself--to wife Sheila, and sons Steve, and Mike, who are most definitely the bearers of his legacy-in-persona, our sincerest condolences. We have all had the experience of
knowing a very special person. Rest in peace, "Seymour". ..UNQUOTE..........REST IN PEACE BROTHER .....THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE BOTH MILITARY (WW2) & FDNY.....PRAYERS FOR THE COMFORT OF THE FAMILIES.

^^^^^^ This iconic 1967 Watkins St photo from Ira Hoffman's site shows Seymour (with Cap on)  standing behind the "O" in the word boys on THE BANNER......    https://www.fire-police-ems.com/misc/fdny-tales-stories-the-banner.shtml

Rest in Peace Fireman Schenker. A true legend from "The War Years" for so many reasons. Thoughts and prayers for your families at home and on Watkins Street.

Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic the proper sendoff is not possible at this time but we do encourage everyone to attend a line up the day of his burial. Please keep Seymours wife and all of the  Schenker family in your thoughts and prayers!

Wednesday May 6 11:15 am Line up at Pinelawn Cemetery outside the gate on Wellwood Avenue. South Gate 100 ft from the Main Entrance.

--
"The Tradition Continues...

I met Seymour after being assigned to TL-120 in 2003. He was a constant fixture at all the Watkins St events and we became good friends, as I did with the whole Retiree group. They weren?t just good people, they were Wonderful people. When we (120) started planning our Centennial for 2005, we didn?t know how we would fund it. Andy Gargiulo (my cousin and the Senior Man in 120) and Seymour brought me to the Retirees Luncheon and I spoke to them about what we were trying to do. The response was enormous. We had the coalition at Russo?s on Cross Bay Blvd. if not for Seymour interceding, it doesn?t happen. COD Hayden, who spoke at our Centennial, called the men from 231/120, the Royalty of the FD, singling out Seymour for all he did.  As we buried our Watkins St Brothers, Seymour was always part of the Honor Guard to bring the 231/120 Members home, as he was a Big part of the traditional 911 ceremonies in 231/120?s quarters. He was the kindest and sweetest person I have ever met. To be touched by him and have him as a friend is one of the honors of my life. Besides being a War Years Fireman in one of the busiest Shops on the Job, he is a WW-2 Navy Vet in the South Pacific  The Captain of his ship was awarded the Medal of Honor. I have a great pic of Seymour at his Captain?s grave but don?t have access to it since I am Sheltering in Place down in Florida. To say I am saddened is an understatement. God Bless you My Friend.  What a tremendous loss to the Watkins Street Family...
Captain JC (ret)
FDNY
Tower Ladder 120
Brownsville,  Brooklyn