Drag rescue device

Our turnout gear is now coming standard with the yocco drd. However no real technical data came with it, nor can I find any technical drawings on the device. Morning Pride I believe is using a similar device in its gear. I was hoping you guys could give me a little advice as to the use of the DRDs, are they drag devices only? or if need be can a fireman improvise and use it as a lifting device? I figured if anyone would know it would be you guys. Thanks, and stay safe.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The Drag Rescue Device are only for dragging a down member.  I am sure about the ones you are using, but with the FDNY style one, the straps are very small.  IF you were to try doing a lift there is a good chance you would do some very serious injury.  From a medical standpoint even with the drag you could also cut into the persons arms and limit blood flow.

This device is still very new to us, the last class which got out last week are the only ones with them..
Hope this helps some.

Here is a link to some photos
http://www.nycfire.net/node/358

it is now an NFPA standard that all new turnout coats will have to have thte device in it, and im pretty sure it is just a dragging device for a downed firefighter, a few guys at my firehouse have them in their coats from Morning Pride that they just got and we gave it a little test and they said its not to comfortable when being dragged so I dont think anyone is going to want to be lifted off the ground by this considereing it will hurt and maybe even do some damage to the arms

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Have one in my new coat.  Hate the design, they used rope thats about the size of a shoe lace.  Looks like it will do some damage to the member if used.

Like I said above I dont have it in my coat, but the guys who do have it, its almost like a piece of webbing made into 2 loops to fit your arms through that go inside the sleave of the coat, and then a little handle that is under a flap right under the coller of the coat, if you ask me its bad spot to put it due to the fact that the handle will be covered by their SCBA, if im ever in the situation where I have to rescue a downed firefighter you can bet im not going to be fiddling around trying to find the handle, I'm going to grab two nice hand fulls of coat and be on my way.

I found this article earlier today about these DRDs, they seem more like a hazard then a helper, check it out i found it on firefighterclosecalls.com  http://www.firefighterclosecalls.com/fullstory.php?59580