Duration of incident?

When did FDNY start tracking this statistic, and why?  Is there official pressure to place jobs U/C quickly for PR purposes?

The way it was explained to me, it tells the IC how long the fires been burning so (s)he can make an informed decision as to when to pull the members out.

It started about 4 years ago. Kinda came around the same time we were tasked with setting up staging areas. As it was explained to me, it lets the IC know how long they have been operating, and gives them the opportunity to change tactics, etc. As far as I know it has nothing to do with PR.

It was before then. I want to say late 2004, maybe October. I'll have to look at the Dispatchers Directives and Advisories later on.

It also gives the IC an idea of how to track personnel and objectives when sending feedback to the dispatcher, i.e. progress reports are due at 10 minute intervals.... many dispatchers will NOT hesitate to remind the IC via radio, i.e. "Manhattan to Division 3, progress report for your box is now due.."