EMS Mutual Aid 1/18/15

Here in sunny Virginia, I'm hearing that FDNY mutual aid plans for EMS coverage have been activated, with EMS units and heavy rescues from NJ and Nassau & Suffolk counties responding into the city to assist with a huge backlog of 911 calls due to the ice.  Any truth to this?

raybrag said:
Here in sunny Virginia, I'm hearing that FDNY mutual aid plans for EMS coverage have been activated, with EMS units and heavy rescues from NJ and Nassau & Suffolk counties responding into the city to assist with a huge backlog of 911 calls due to the ice.  Any truth to this?

100% true. Non-FDNY EMS units are operating on EMS Citywide 2. The link is below if anyone wants to listen. Quite a busy channel right now.

http://nycfire.net/fdny/communications/liveaudio/emscw2

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
There are already units in service.
Also heard Suffolk already heading in and Nassau was almost ready to go at the staging area.

NJ EMS 1st operational period mutual aid to NYC: 4 BLS from Bergen County (Westwood, Moonachie, Hackensack, Wallington); 2 BLS from Union County (Mountainside & Summit); 3 BLS from Hudson County (McCabe, North Bergen, NJSEA) in addition to elements of the NJ EMS Task Force.

Also the some volly units are active on EMS DARS using the MARS talkgroup.

I heard a Bronx Engine this morning ask the dispatcher to check with EMS, they had been waiting an hour for an ambulance. I think Engine 38 or 48?

Saw a photo of EMS staging alright. What's with the Heavy Rescues? Didn't hear / see anything about those?

CFDMarshal said:
I heard a Bronx Engine this morning ask the dispatcher to check with EMS, they had been waiting an hour for an ambulance. I think Engine 38 or 48?

Does anyone know the official policy regarding transporting aided cases in FDNY and NYPD vehicles, especially if there's an extraordinary delay like this?  As one example, do supervisors (company officers in the case of FD or sergeants or above in PD) have authority to allow the transport of a civilian?  I realize this may have been given a low priority by EMS, but if nothing else, tying up an engine company for an hour in such a case doesn't seem like a very effective policy or very good for public relations.

Thanks.

INFO FROM ANOTHER SITE.....QUOTE....New Jersey sent 10 BLS Units to NYC . Long Island sent over 20 BLS units to Fort Totten where they were dispersed throughout the city. At one point EMS was in a over 600 call backlog...UNQUOTE.

dan

This Mutual Aid plan has been in place for a few years and is exercised regularly. Only ambulances and TF leaders were deployed. No rescues. FDNY and NYC OEM have signed MOU's with the surrounding counties and states.....