EMS/Truck Company

Just Engines. Unless it is coded by EMS as a Trauma, or a Drowning, then they respond as part of the assignment.

What's the difference between them and an ambulance. Can they do the same things except transporting people to the hospital?
And why are fire companies assigned? Is that because of the ambulances response times so that fire can give the first treatment?

I don't remember if Trucks carry EMS equipment other than a first aid kit. Engine Companies are sent to provide patient care before EMS arrives if it is an incident like a cardiac arrest, choking, major injury, unconcious person. They are trained as first responders, while EMS is trained as EMT's or Medics.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
New Change now sends Trucks only to EMS Runs on Highways when:
Run comes in for EMS only for a street address.  If it's a highway then you would get 1&1 each direction.
EMS arrives at said street address and determines the incident is on a highway.
Truck assigned for safety to block traffic for EMS.
Not there for patient care but if EMS needs help carrying patient then they are suppose to help.

Not sure how often this happens.

As far as equipment, I think they have everything but the defib?

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The are now keeping a backboard in the Stokes. New SOP is for all Stokes to have a board in them.
This way when you get to the ambulance you can get the patient out of the stokes and give it back to the truck, then take a fresh board from EMS.

I have done it both ways.  When I was in EMS it was a way to get a break for a few minutes, to bring the stokes back to the truck at quarters.

Yes your right, didnt even think about the backboard that is in the stokes basket. Thanks

tbendick said:
New Change now sends Trucks only to EMS Runs on Highways when:
Run comes in for EMS only for a street address.  If it's a highway then you would get 1&1 each direction.
EMS arrives at said street address and determines the incident is on a highway.
Truck assigned for safety to block traffic for EMS.
Not there for patient care but if EMS needs help carrying patient then they are suppose to help.

Not sure how often this happens.

As far as equipment, I think they have everything but the defib?

Not entirely true, Tom. If it's an auto accident, or reported pin, the truck still goes. You are correct about if EMS requests us to block traffic on the highway. As far as highways are concerned, don't start me.  If I had a nickel for every time PD puts East whatever street and Roosevelt Drive, and in the text is says northbound, I'd be a freakin millionaire.

So then being a truckie is kinda slow job wise since a engine goes to fire, EMS, Rescue etc, and trucks go only to non ems stuff except auto accidents. What does a truck actually carry equipment wise? Do they have 35' ladders or 24'. extraction equipment, PPV's etc????

To NVEMTIFFII:  You are asking a lot of questions, the most I've seen from one individual on this site. I recommend that you get some FDNY reference books like "Fire Department of New York An Operational Reference" ;)

Some of your question that you have might be answered in this:

http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php?topic=1273.0

NVEMTIFFII:  Don't shut up.  Asking questions is the way you learn.  BUT:  Take svd385's advice and read (or study) the FAQs and the many other posts you'll find on this board, and try not to ask 10 or 20 questions at once . . . just the biggest "I wonder how . . ." or "WTF does that mean . . ." you come across in a given day.  and don't let the old hands on this board intimidate you or put you down . . . they were once newbies, too (even if that was MANY, MANY moons ago).  There's so much knowledge and experience to be gained from the ex-members, dispatchers and other experts on this board that it's almost scary.  I know that I've learned a fantastic amount from them all . . . and I thank them for it.

P.S.  Don't forget the other sites that can give you more information about FDNY and firefighting in general.  If you're not aware of them, here's a few to start with:

www.http://nyfd.com/
http://www.fdnytrucks.com/
http://www.fdnewyork.com/
http://www.firegroundphotos.net/bronxco/index.html

NVEMTIFFII said:
OK Ill shut up  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Being from a small town fire dept I used to ask alot of questions also until a guy that I've never seen before on here and never have seen since basically accused me of being a terrorist. So now I just come on and browse. I do love the site though, very entertaining and knowledgable.

This is a very informative site, not only for FDNY but I try to keep the troops posted on Chicago. Do yourself a favor, go the the site "The Bravest" and buy the Ops Ref guide. All the answers from satelite foam ops came from that book. We were all newbies on this site but some common sense is also in order. If you don't ask you will never know but you need to show due dillegence. 8) 8) :D :) 8) 8)