END TO OPEN COMMUNICATIONS{FD included}---ONE YEAR AWAY NOW................

Hate to bring this topic up again, but this article states all services will be encrypted for interoperability and be unavailable to the public and the press alike.
$500 million already spent---so there is no stopping this.

What say you all?

I think that, we the public, should all have encryption for our personal communications too.

Hate to bring this topic up again, but this article states all services will be encrypted for interoperability and be unavailable to the public and the press alike.
$500 million already spent---so there is no stopping this.

What say you all?

I think that, we the public, should all have encryption for our personal communications too.
"It is unclear whether the FDNY and EMS will follow suit, as they have the same radios and require “interoperability,” which means they need to be able to talk to police."

As much as I like the capability to listen I can see the serious point of interference with PD ops that has occurred as stated in the article.

If the goal is to prevent interference from people jamming with simple BaoFengs, $30.00 ham radios---then just sell radios that can listen but can not transmit the activating digital signal. Make the owners licensed---like owning a legal gun. Annual Fees would be required---else radio functions would be terminated---like on your Cell Phone. All law abiding citizens would be eligible. If you loose your radio you must report it at once. It's monitoring capability would be terminated OTA(over the air).

No......... This is to prevent law abiding citizens from knowing what is happening (while it is still happening) in their neighborhoods. To protect the PD from taking non-standard actions at a scene. With the victims the only witnesses!

The simplest mensuration I can give here is that in communist countries, it is illegal to monitor the police(encrypted or not). Guess why.

Here in the UK we have the fire service using digital radio system called Ahirways. We have had this for a long time, it was sold to us that we needed secure radio systems for all the emergency service after the 911 atrocity. So I can't listen in the the fire service in my town. But incredibly I can hear the excellent radio transmissions of the FDNY.

The money spent achieving encryption could be better spent improving communications.

If they proceed to do this against the Public's will could there be "ENCRYPTION RIOTS" ?