FDNY and NYPD Explorers Training

I think this Explorers Training Program is a Great thing. Kids today need Role Models, and this training is the Perfect thing to keep their interest, and keep them out of trouble. I only wish they had something like this when I was a kid. Do they have anything like this for us somewhat "Older Folks" ???  (just kidding).

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
FDNY had the Explorer program back in the early 60's & into the early 70's.

Atlas said:

Thanks Atlas, but I was too Old even then to join. "69 Mets", you sure are right about not giving up the line to the Cops. When I told that to a few Cops, they told me, they don't give up their guns to Firemen. They told me, that's kind of like giving a butcher knife to a Brain Surgeon. (Now there's a thought for the day).

nfd2004 said:
Atlas said:

"69 Mets", you sure are right about not giving up the line to the Cops. When I told that to a few Cops, they told me, they don't give up their guns to Firemen. They told me, that's kind of like giving a butcher knife to a Brain Surgeon. (Now there's a thought for the day).
[/quote]

LOL ... Good stuff. A Captain who was breaking me in on Truck Company operations when I was a new probie in the house told me that when he was a 'Johnnie', a senior guy from his company approached him during the overhaul stage of a top floor job in a tenement, "Hey kid, gimme your hook." He handed the hook to the senior man who promptly threw it out the window into the rear yard. Immediately the company officer said, "Hey kid, where's your hook?" When he explained to the boss what had transpired, he was informed that you NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give up your tool to anyone. If they ask for it, you find out what's needed and you take care of it ... or ... if you're a senior guy you tell him to go get his own F%$#in' tool. Lesson learned ...LOL ...

I guess that's like a photographer coming up to me and saying that he left his camera at home could he use mine.

mack

Administrator
Remember the Model Cities Program in the 1970s?  This was not a scout program but I believe taught firefighting skills.

Congress funded the Model Cities program in 1966.  FDNY began its program in 1968.  South Bronx had a Community Fire Safety Education Corps.  Central Brooklyn and Harlem had similar organizations.  Brownsville had a fire salvage unit which responded when special called.  18 FDNY fire officers and 35 firefighters were assigned and their salaries were paid by federal funds.  252 neighborhood young men, ages 19-27, from these neighborhood, were paid salaries to learn fire prevention and firefighting (salvage) skills. 

Too bad the economic stimilus package did not seem to fund modern explorer-type programs with our fire services which could lead to eventual jobs.

Basically, the federal government paid for the program to provide job opportunities for inner city 'youts'...

mack

Administrator
Thanks 69 Mets.  I did look up some details.  I don't think the Model Cities program was perfect but for many years, it supported a lot of training, fire awareness, and I think some of the participants made there way onto the job.  Too bad it was limited to only a few neighborhoods.  It did provide federal funding as you pointed out for a good sized group of FDNY members.  Too bad there isn't more federal funding allocated for firefighters today.  Cape Cod is getting unwanted wind mill farms to create BS jobs and higher energy costswith stimilus funds  while cities are laying off firefighters.  Go figure. 

I believe that Firefighters who were laid off in the 1970's were initially hired back with Model Cities $$$. They were assigned to Truck Companies in busy areas and were assigned to do salvage work after the fire was extinguished.

did FDNY or NYC in general get any new vehicles from the model cities program? if so are there any pictures of them? because i know chicago got some ambulances out of model cities but the ambulances they got weren't the usual color scheme.

The Explorer program was an offshoot of the Boy Scouts. Back in the day, 88 Engine had a post. IIRR, 60 Engine has one, along with 89 Engine. I'm not sure if the Explorer program is still part of the BSA. They do go upstate to drill with posts in Westchester and Putnam. It is a great way to teach kids about Fire Safety, Prevention and Firefighting. I was an explorer myself in my younger years, and what I learned then was a big help to me as I got older.

Bulldog

Bulldog
FDNY150 said:
I'm not sure if the Explorer program is still part of the BSA. They do go upstate to drill with posts in Westchester and Putnam. It is a great way to teach kids about Fire Safety, Prevention and Firefighting.
They're definitely still part of the BSA program.

i wonder what the number of nyc kids are compared to the L.I./orange/rockland/putnam kids? anyone know? 

I'm a explorer in the UK its known over here as Young Firefighters we meet once a week and do several drills learning different things each week. I'm nearly at the end of this as it is only for children between 13- 17 but as i was on the old contract which was 11-18 i'm allowed to stay to 18 years of age. I'm currently a watch manager (Captain) with young Firefighters. I got the opportunity to become a instructor at young Firefighters.  The main point of these schemes is to educate children about fire safety but more to teach children all about team work and how the fire departments work and that has succeeded with me at least. Its a good idea and in my thoughts should be one of the main  focus points for all fire departments as this can reduce many arson fires as it shows how important it is to respect other peoples properties

Thanks

Daniel 

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
FDNY still has one or more explorer post. However they did drop the program for a good number of years. The exployer program never had anything to do with Model Cities.

The FDNY does offer an explorer program still, its the cadets that were disbanded. There is 1 post per borough with the exception of Brooklyn who has a borough post, and a post through the FDNY highschool. Each post is ran by firefighters as well as EMTS/Paramedics who wish to advise. There main mission statement is community service, but they do train at the rock frequently, as well as do many in house drills. Most recent, the FDNY had an all night out event, where every explorer from every borough did a tour on marine 1, when to aviation to iceskate and rockclimb, as well as have a drive in movie/picnic at the end to top the night off. Its a great program preaching diveristy, as well as teamwork and really sets an example for the explorers. You can enter the program from the ages of 14-21, any more info just contact me. (And yes, they are ensured through the BSA)