FDNY BOOKS

I continue to read these books with amazement.
The amount of fire activity that those FDNY War Years Firefighters dealt with over those years was UNBELIEVABLE.

I am very thankful that each of these books mentioned in this thread documents the stories and the photos that went on back then by what has been referred to as "The GREATEST GENERATIONS OF FIREFIGHTERS".

We fortunate to have many of those FDNY WAR YEARS FIREFIGHTERS with us on this website
Also lets not forget those FDNY Dispatchers who did an OUTSTANDING JOB during those very busy FDNY WAR YEARS

We have some of those authors/photographers here with us as well.

But along the way, there has been some very famous songs to include photos and videos in which tell the story of these firefighters.

Somewhere throughout this web site they can be found, but I thought this would be a Great Place to bring them together for those who may not have seen them.

Here are those songs and videos:
Just click on the link.

1) "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" by The Hollies.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIiqorN9ppA

2) "One Moment In Time" by Whitney Houston
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCtRC7EfaRI

3) "New York, New York" by Frank Sinatra (note - his father was the Chief of the Hoboken, N.J. Fire Department)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=haDnCq9x5e4

Hi Guys, I was a Captain and Chief in FDNY Animal House in the Eighties and Nineties. Wrote a book of stories about my 27 years on the job. I think that it is a good read but have a look and see for yourself. Stay safe. New Book...."When The Bell Rings-A Firefighters Journey" available on Amazon.

Thank you "chiefest" and welcome to this great website.
I hope to order your book on Amazon - "When The Bell Rings - A Firefighters Journey".

The Animal House, Engine 75/Ladder 33, as it is called was, and still is, a very busy firehouse located on Jerome Ave near 183rd St. in the Bronx.
A favorite buff site of many guys during the 1980s and 1990s
I think I talk about it in some stories on this site in the "History Section" called; "My Younger Buff Years".

Also the owner of this site is Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick, aka "jbendick", who spent many years at 75/33, who I'm sure you know.
He is a very good friend to many of us here.

Thank you "chiefest" and welcome to this great website.
I hope to order your book on Amazon - "When The Bell Rings - A Firefighters Journey".

The Animal House, Engine 75/Ladder 33, as it is called was, and still is, a very busy firehouse located on Jerome Ave near 183rd St. in the Bronx.
A favorite buff site of many guys during the 1980s and 1990s
I think I talk about it in some stories on this site in the "History Section" called; "My Younger Buff Years".

Also the owner of this site is Retired FDNY Captain John Bendick, aka "jbendick", who spent many years at 75/33, who I'm sure you know.
He is a very good friend to many of us here.
Yes, John was a great guy and I enjoyed working with him in 75. I was the Captain. Never a problem with John. His nickname was "Buffy". Say hello when you see him.

^^^^ HELLO BOB... we stood next to each other in proby school in 1968 (same class as John B. & Tom K. (LT.Q on here ) ....you went to SQ*3 & I went to 108....I did not know about your book but will get it ...hope all is well ..Jack Kleehaas.

A friend of mine, Rob Palmer, recently published a fictional novel called " A Fireman in the Making." Story takes place in Manhattan in 1904 when a young lad becomes interested in the FDNY. He goes on to take the test and is assigned to Engine 55. Dorrance Publishing Company.

Hey Jack! Great to hear from you after all these years. Hope you're doing fantastic! Thanks for reaching out. You knew more about firefighting in proby school than the instructors. The book is new and is a collection of stories. That was some proby class. I think we had 250 guys and broken up into 2 sections of 125 each. It's nice reconnecting with you after all this time..Keep well....Bob

A friend of mine, Rob Palmer, recently published a fictional novel called " A Fireman in the Making." Story takes place in Manhattan in 1904 when a young lad becomes interested in the FDNY. He goes on to take the test and is assigned to Engine 55. Dorrance Publishing Company.
Also look for a book "Our Firemen" by A E Costello. History of the New York FD from 1609 until 1887. 1000+ pages. Available on Amazon.

RET FDNY CPT MIKE McLAUGHLIN's BOOK ON HIS LIFE & PARALYZING INJURY....
"THE 25 YEAR JOURNEY OF AN OLD SOUL" on Amazon

Last edited: