FDNY-EMS 12hr Shifts

Heard the rumor that EMS might go to 12 hr shifts. Any news on that?

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
Yes an No.
They are doing pilot programs and some units are 12hour tours.  However there are some units that might remain 8hours even if they change over.
The last time they tried it, everyone on the unit had to agree to the 12hour tours.  If one person didn't want it then the unit went back to 8hours.
This time the units are 12hours and you have to get off the unit if you don't want to do 12hours and find a 8hour unit.

Not sure how it's working out.

Do you know which EMS tours are trying out the 12 hr tours. And what is the work week schedule like. I would think it would be better as less traveling to go to work, with more days off. Of course working 12hrs on a busy rig, I"m sure is no bargain.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
I would have to look up the units.  They just put out a updated memo that the program will start up again March 1st.

J

JOEYBRONXEMT

24 hour tours would not last long  and you would burn out your ems crews very fast.  I speak from experience  it works on long island  but it would not work in the 5 boros.  I have worked in both the nyc-ems and  longisland ems systems (vol and paid)  since the early  eighties.
I myself  who work in the bronx  would not want this .  maybe for a new emt who is young but for a  veteran  emt in his fourties  I would not last long.  im lucky if I can make it though a 8 hour tour now.  JOE 

12Hr shifts are certainly doable, there's the norm rather than the exception for the UK certainly, and London is almost certainly as busy as NY.

Nashville EMS went to 12 hour shifts and they love them. 2 days (6a-6p) and than 2 nights (6p-6a), then off for 4 days. Better than the 24hr shifts they were doing and trust me these units are BUSY. They have 18 ambulances covering 700,000 people. On paper supposed to be 25 units up,but do to budget....(We all know this story).

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The 12 hour tours started units we changed to be tour 2 and tour 3 out in Brooklyn.
I read the documents but it's a litttle confusing for me and if they work OT and less then the normal hours then it's all strange.

I know this topic hasn't come up in a while, so thought I'd ask: 1) what is the shift schedule for the 12 hour units? 2) do the condition officers work the 12's as well? and on a similar subject 3) do ems dispatch personnel work 8 hour or 12 hour (like fire) tours?

Thanks Everyone, Jim

Atlas

Administrator
Staff member
As of today, EMS units in the test area, Bklyn North, are back on 8 hour shifts.
City claimed that there sick leave was too high.

Atlas said:
As of today, EMS units in the test area, Bklyn North, are back on 8 hour shifts.
City claimed that there sick leave was too high.

That's very disappointing news for the people that were hoping to work the 12hr shifts. I can't believe the City would respond like that. If you're sick, you stay home, espically for EMS workers. The regular flu, the H1N1, etc has surely been a problem for everyones concern. No matter where you work the signs say if you're sick "Stay Home". If there are some individuals that the City feels are abusing sick time, deal with them. Don't punish everybody else. (Actually, it's kind of making me sick just thinking about this poorly managed system). Good luck guys.