FDNY FLY CARS.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/FDNY-to-Introduce-New-Fly-Cars-This-Summer-Report-369821081.html?_osource=taboola-recirc

Based on what some people have said online, this has been done twice before in New York City and discontinued both times.

FDNY793727 said:
Based on what some people have said online, this has been done twice before in New York City and discontinued both times.
It was a disaster then so I wonder what makes them think it'll work now? Oh, wait.....did I say "think"?

If there is two medics per car why not just give them a bus and have them transport too. Instead of waiting for one to show up. Put 10 more ambulances on the street.

If the Medic was by himself then I could see it this way.

Bulldog

Bulldog
Many departments run a Fly Car system for paramedics however, they operate much differently than how this test is going to operate.  They have a single paramedic in a fly car with his equipment so that they can backup a BLS ambulance for a serious incident.  In effect you terminate BLS ambulance into an ALS ambulance with the addition of a fly car.  Also, if ALS really isn't needed the ambulance can transport the victim while the paramedic and the fly car returns to service.

I certainly agree with the previous poster that if you're going to put 2 paramedics in a fly car just give them an ambulance and call it an ALS unit.

It will be a Paramedic riding with a Lt. or Capt. (at least that's the way it was the last time) responding. Now, of course they can't transport so they'll have to wait for a bus to come. EMS is all of it's wisdom has always put the Lt.'s and Capt.'s "between a rock and a hard place." First it's "we don't want you do assist with patient care, you're there as a supervisor, etc." Then they had only one boss per tour to run the station and be the conditions car. It was then "why wasn't this done?" or "why weren't you wherever?" Well, where the heck did you want the boss, inside or out? We used to say that we were going to affix a typewriter into the glove compartment of the rig so everything could be done at once. I digress, what's going to happen now when the boss and the medic get hung up at a job and the boss is needed elsewhere? They don't have enough bosses on the road to back fill this upcoming quagmire. The real solution, which can never be resolved, is to not have the public calling ambulances for inane reasons such as the "taxi ride" to the E.R. for their clinic appointment, three week old back-ache, etc. They figure if they come by ambulance they'll get seen quicker in the E.R. (E.R.'s still triage) Oh I can go on and on, but what's the sense? Been there done that. Sorry for the "ramble" my friends it's just that they reinstitute nonsense schemes when they can't do anything about the underlying factor.

News 4 reported 566,210 'Life Threatening' Incidents last year.  Is it really that serious? (1,551 per day?)

fdhistorian said:
News 4 reported 566,210 'Life Threatening' Incidents last year.  Is it really that serious? (1,551 per day?)

It's how it's described by the caller, how it's entered by the CRO etc. For instance, "Baby Choking", go like hell to get there and the baby just needs to be burped. A lot of callers hype up the condition thinking they'll get a bus quicker, ex: "Cardiac, severe jaw pain" which equated to "toothache x 3 weeks". Before you say "yeah right" fellas I'm not making this up.

I've heard BxFD sending Rapid Response 42  and 46 on a couple of EMS-jobs.  Is this related to the FLY CARS initiative or something else?  Has there been any further discussion on upgrading engine companies to EMT level and/or having truck companies respond on CFR-D runs?  Thanks!

C'VILLE 7111 said:
I've heard BxFD sending Rapid Response 42  and 46 on a couple of EMS-jobs.  Is this related to the FLY CARS initiative or something else?  Has there been any further discussion on upgrading engine companies to EMT level and/or having truck companies respond on CFR-D runs?  Thanks!
The RRVs are picking up the slack from the loss of the Transcare Ambulances  after the company went bankrupt........  http://nycfire.net/forums/index.php/topic,41437.0.html