Firehouse sunday routines

Here in London, our Sunday routines are pretty much 9am roll call, after that till 10am equipment checks, then either a station based drill or Borough/area combined unit drill, then any fire safety visits after that, then vollyball, or gym, this doesnt really differ much from any other day shift, only maybe more fire safety visits mid week, on sundays some stations and watches like to have a good old sunday roast dinner.

My question is, whats the sunday routines, and in fact daily routines in FDNY, i hear a lot of MUD, im aware that this is Multi Unit Drill, but how long does it have to last for, and is it company/firehouse lead drill, or battallion chief lead drill?? And what would the captain or LT have for his troops as far as MUD is concerned?

What happens in the afternoon.

Many thanks guys

JT

-Stop off on Arthur Avenue to pick up a bag of rolls for the Brothers.
-Arrive at the firehouse an hour to an hour and a half before the beginning of the tour.
-Go to your locker and put on the uniform.
-Relieve one of the Brothers (if anyone is willing to 'take off' early).
-Have a couple of cups of coffee and a buttered roll with 'the men' and find out what went on during the previous tour.
-Roll call at 0900.
-More coffee.
-Start the committee work at 0930.
-Catch a couple of jobs before noon.
-Go the Arthur Avenue and pick up fresh ravioli for lunch (grab a slice for the ride back to quarters).
-Prepare lunch with the Brothers.
-Eat lunch with the Brothers.
-Catch a couple of more jobs.
-Hopefully get a call to work overtime on the night tour ...

Sounds pretty much the same, only thing i didnt mention is the jobs, we do about on average 10-15 runs a day, but my next station, due to start in August, does about 6,500 calls a year, so i will earn my spurs as a young officer there i guess!! I would lay the gauntlet to see if FDNy FF's eat as much as London Firefighters... we love our food, and i mean..LOVE our food....its a communal watch bonding eatfest....

JT

When you say jobs, i take it you dont mean working fires etc...as no firehouse in the FDNY has regular shifts like you describe, i have rode with fdny units, in bronx, Man and spent an inordinate amount of time with the busiest station in the FDNY, just not at weekends and never experienced a MUD, hence i ask, but to be honest, FDNY houses are not that much different from London Stations as far as operations go, there are stations in london that see fire most days, stations in London that go out 20 times a day, and dont see any fire, stations that go out 5 times a day and 4 of them is a working fire, on average, and stations that guys just go to to play a saxaphone and retire(my future plan).. Lift recues, cooking fires, and small fires are classed as routine in London, dont really qualify as workers,but i do know that the FDNy still has houses that drop all hands on a tour as a routine.. happy days

JT

londonfireguy said:
When you say jobs, i take it you dont mean working fires etc...as no firehouse in the FDNY has regular shifts like you describe, i have rode with fdny units, in bronx, Man and spent an inordinate amount of time with the busiest station in the FDNY, just not at weekends and never experienced a MUD, hence i ask, but to be honest, FDNY houses are not that much different from London Stations as far as operations go, there are stations in london that see fire most days, stations in London that go out 20 times a day, and dont see any fire, stations that go out 5 times a day and 4 of them is a working fire, on average, and stations that guys just go to to play a saxaphone and retire(my future plan).. Lift recues, cooking fires, and small fires are classed as routine in London, dont really qualify as workers,but i do know that the FDNy still has houses that drop all hands on a tour as a routine.. happy days

JT

Yup ... jobs = working fires. I've been retired for a number of years now, but my description is not far fetched. You 'rode' with some companies and saw some things, but that's not the same as actually being on the job in those companies for 20 or so years. No disrespect intended, I'm just telling you how it was. 

Yup ... jobs = working fires. I've been retired for a number of years now, but my description is not far fetched. You 'rode' with some companies and saw some things, but that's not the same as actually being on the job in those companies for 20 or so years. No disrespect intended, I'm just telling you how it was. 
[/quote]

You are so right 69 METS

I spent a few years in the firehouse myself. It wasn't the FDNY, but I can relate to the coffee and buttered rolls, maybe some ravioli on occassions, a job just every once in awhile. A Multi Unit drill espically if we had a new Probie.
 I've been retired a few years now. The other day stopped by to see the Boys. "How times have changed". They put out a plater of celery and carrotts. No rolls, butter or REAL FOOD. I had brought in another good friend who is a "Loo" in a nearby city. "My Boys kind of let me down".
 I had spread the word of how things had become so different in just six years since I left. A few nights later I was called down to visit again. My Boy's treated me to a "Feast for a King". Huge ribs smothered in barbaque sauce, a Great tasting mashed potatoes, some squash with a special flavoring, and plenty of rolls and butter.
 Yeah, they also do Multi Unit Drills, probadly even more often now then we did then. And they do catch a job once in awhile, even on Sunday's.
 www.theday.com/article/20100606/NWS04/100609805/1047

Londonguy, times have changed since 69Mets was on.  His rendition was great! (But for those Bronx Companies  ;D ) for there is no getting to Arthur Ave from the other bouroughs. Saturdays is the day for Multiunit drill.  Some places do a detailed inspection of tools on the rigs.  Ladder maintenance is usually the routine. For the most part Sunday lunch (like Mets said) is Raviollis, Pasta fasol, or some sort of guin....errr..."Italian" dish...most guys claim its an old familiy recipe.....Funny part is the best red sauces are usually made by Irish guys  ;D .  Sunday dinners....most of the time is Steaks.   

Here's the comparison for today.....

-Stop off on Arthur Avenue to pick up a bag of rolls for the Brothers.  -Bronx only, Bagels are always brought in for any day tour, some houses do a Sunday Breakfast
-Arrive at the firehouse an hour to an hour and a half before the beginning of the tour.  -Usually a hour now.  We ride to the hour.
-Go to your locker and put on the uniform.  -Same, then check the rig.
-Relieve one of the Brothers (if anyone is willing to 'take off' early). Sometimes, otherwise the Officer has to know and changes to the electronic riding list have to be made
-Have a couple of cups of coffee and a buttered roll with 'the men' and find out what went on during the previous tour. Same
-Roll call at 0900. Same
-More coffee. Same
-Start the committee work at 0930. Some places have a holiday routine...mine does a BIG clean up, focusing on the kitchen.
-Catch a couple of jobs before noon.  Runs....
-Go the Arthur Avenue and pick up fresh ravioli for lunch (grab a slice for the ride back to quarters).  Borgotti's has nothing on Russo's on East 11th St...one door down is Venerio's..for "truck treats"
-Prepare lunch with the Brothers.  Same
-Eat lunch with the Brothers.  Same
-Catch a couple of more jobs.  Elevators, water leaks, and EMS runs.....
-Hopefully get a call to work overtime on the night tour ...  What's overtime?

Thanks for the info, i did smile a the mention of overtime, exactly the saem here, we were only whinging at how the other watched get all the overtime shouts (calls-runs) and we get none, same the world over  ;D

I love the how life firehouse life revolves around 'Food', a happy shift is a well fed shift!!!

Again, many thanks for the info.

jarrod