Hurst rescue tools

Just curious on how many of these do the FDNY have in their inventory? Which units carry them? Thanks

I've been retired since 2002, but back then every Truck Co., Squad Co., Rescue Co. and the Haz Mat Co. were equipped with a Hurst Rescue Tool set.

Thanks 69mets. The ''1'' set my dept has is a combo set meaning spreader and shear are 1 unit. Is that the same setup that FDNY uses?

Al ... To the best of my memory, the Truck Co.'s had a set of full size jaws (at one time they were '32B's', an 'O' Cutter small, medium and large rams, a 4 cycle power unit, a back up hand pump, an assortment of hydraulic hoses and a kit with various tips for the rams. In addition, they had sawzalls, air chisel, air bag set, cribbing, step chocks, etc. I believe the Squads Co.'s had the same set up as the Trucks. The Rescue Co.'s had all of the above equipment plus an electric power unit and a combi tool. This list may not be completely accurate as I had mentioned earlier, I've been out of the job for 8 years. Some things may have changed ... 

They should still have it, they put it to work a few months or so ago when they rolled up on a pin job.

69 METS said:
Al ... To the best of my memory, the Truck Co.'s had a set of full size jaws (at one time they were '32B's', an 'O' Cutter small, medium and large rams, a 4 cycle power unit, a back up hand pump, an assortment of hydraulic hoses and a kit with various tips for the rams. In addition, they had sawzalls, air chisel, air bag set, cribbing, step chocks, etc. I believe the Squads Co.'s had the same set up as the Trucks. The Rescue Co.'s had all of the above equipment plus an electric power unit and a combi tool. This list may not be completely accurate as I had mentioned earlier, I've been out of the job for 8 years. Some things may have changed ... 

Actually not much has changed at all. In addition to what you have already mentioned, rescue and squad also have a portable spreader/cutter that does not use an engine to power it. And Soc Support Companies have a small combo cutter/spreader unit.

yes haz-mat1 does have a hurst tool i have pictures of the compartments and one has a tool

Does rescue and squad companies carry same tools as a normal ladder truck does?

Or are these "special units" carring a bit "heavier" tools?

As far as i know all ladder companies in new york have a set of spreaders the new moc-ll cutter and a set of rams. The squads and rescues have all of those tools plus a second set of cutters and some have a combo tool. I know that squad-18 has a combo tool and i think rescue-1 has one as well.

Forgot to mention. Dont know if they still have it but rescue-1 has or hade a battery powered hurst combo tool.

A Rescue is dispatched to pins/entrapments along with the Engine, Ladder & Battalion.