Hydrant Parking

From the article : "?Our trucks are 30 feet long, so we need all that space to park and operate,? said Fire Department spokesman Frank Dwyer."

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the 15 foot either side rule harkens back to when most 4.5 inch suction hookups were made to inlets "amidships" on the rigs... but now most hydrant connections are made using the inlet on the front end.  I'm guessing that 10 feet either side ought to me enough to nose the rig in.  No?

The existing 15 ft on either side is many times arbitrarily cut down to 12 or even 10 by motorists.....so if it was legally 10' each side..... they would cut it down to 8' in some cases...best to keep it at 15' each side & enforce it.....painting the curb red would be a good general indicator the question is ...who is going to paint it ?....FDNY certainly does not have the resources......maybe community service by non-violent offenders like they use to paint over graffiti around the city......using the 35' yellow suction & nosing in should only be a last resort as it many times will block out the Trucks.....if the handheld computers used by meters maids to scan the windshield sticker bar code & print the ticket was issued to FDNY it would simplify the ticket writing process ...avoiding mistakes & would also & generate more revenue.

jbendick

Administrator
      The ECC on a narrow street has to be careful that the Back step dosen't extend into the street. Must always be aware to let the trucks get  the front of the fire building. Leave the distance as it is.

As long as the dope who parks too close to the hydrant leaves enough room to fit that big steel bumper in there ... the ECC can create all the room he needs. Ummm, at least that's how it used to be done ... maybe I'm not politically correct for the modern fire service ... my apologies...

no apology needed that is still the simplest method available to save "life &  property"....a slow approach will not do much if any damage most times.... however i remember 1 accordioned PD car one night.....RIP Stanley.

The first due 'RMP' doesn't have pumps or an aerial ladder although we did have one of their 'mechanic trucks' take a line off the hydrant at a structural fire  prior to notification of our department one time in the Bronx... so many good memories ... LOL.

69 METS said:
...  prior to notification of our department ...

Rings true.  Back in the 70's some of us would occasionally go "buff the job" after finishing a 4x12 tour at the Brooklyn C.O.  We'd always listen to the PD channels on the scanner, because PD was notorious for dispatching police units to fires before connecting the 911 callers through to the fire dispatchers.