I Please need the help of the "Real Experts"......

Hi Members. My friend and I are retired volunteer firemen. He was a Chief and I was a Hoseman. We are planning a trip to N.Y.C. late  summer or early fall. We could really use all your help to make this trip as good as possible. I Please need your help answering the following questions. Your help will be very much appreciated. Thank you all and keep up the good work on the Best F.D.N.Y. Website in the World !!!
First. We already know to bring our State and Fire Department I.D.'s. And not to go any where without bearing gifts. We would like to go to the Borough that has the Busiest Battalion Chief. I have yet to look up the stats to see what Battalion this is.Unless someone on here can tell me.
Second. We would also like to visit the Borough Communications Office where this Battalion is in. Are we allowed to take pictures in the C.O. ? , is it best to visit in the morning or after lunch ? We won't be available for any evening visits. What time to the C.O.'s change shifts in the morning ? Is it better to visit on a weekend or a weekday ? Any particular do's and don'ts that we need to know ? Any particular C.O.'s that are retired volunteer Firemen friendly ? LOL !!! Is there any particular Dispatcher in  any C.O. that we should ask for by name ? Should we call there first?   
Third. Please reply here or to my personal email at firebox417@hotmail.com  Thank you all very much. Regards, Big John
******NOTE******
WE JUST DECIDED ON BATTALION 18 IN THE BRONX. PLEASE USE THE BRONX COMMUNICATIONS OFFICE ON YOUR REPLIES.  THANKS !!!!!!

Unfortunately the Bronx CO is closed and the Bronx dispatchers are now in PSAC 2, and the security there does not really allow visitors

Well, you could not have picked a better Battalion.  Honestly though, just go to midtown and kill all your birds with one stone. 

Bring a vest and a lawn chair for sitting in front of quarters waiting for the rigs to pull out.....vest is for the bullets be flyin

HCO

Bronx CO functions were moved to PSAC II August 23, 2017. There are plans to maintain the Bronx CO as a dispatcher training facility.

scamall dubh said:
If you head up to the 18th make sure you have your Scott?s with a couple of spare cylinders in the trunk.
Yeah, they love to eat cabbage in the 18th and you know what that creates. You?ll need your Scott and extra cylinders just to survive dinner. But be careful, there?s a cranky, shabbily dressed chief in quarters that isn?t very volley friendly, unless you bring him ice cream.

Big John,

If I may, let me give you a couple of tips that might help wherever you go.

1) It might be a good idea to bring some goodies for everybody. It's just a simple gesture of appreciation.

2) Remember, even if you plan ahead and the guys know you're coming, "the job comes first". They may be out of quarters on a run, or they may even get detailed to the Rock for training. They have no control over that.

3) Like anything else, "some guys are into it" and "some guys are not". Some guys prefer to talk about fire trucks and some guys prefer to talk about last nights Yankee game.

4) Also understand that "YOU" are going to visit "THEM". It's not the other way around. Don't try to tell them what a hero you are or how many fires you fought. This is the LARGEST and Busiest Fire Dept in the country. They have every type of condition that exist within their city borders. From brush fires to high rise fires.

5) Getting any rig shots may be very difficult due to limited parking and the amount of traffic.

6) Travel time is also something to consider. Depending on where you are, a two mile trip can take you anywhere between 5 minutes to 50 minutes, especially in parts of Manhattan. In Manhattan, you really should become somewhat familiar with the subway system because driving is difficult and parking could be just about impossible or at a premium cost. 

7) You may find that your stay at a firehouse may go longer than expected. Don't put yourself on too tight of a schedule. Maybe plan to visit two firehouses a day.

I can assure you that just being a gentleman goes a long way. I'm sure you can learn a lot about the FDNY if so. I think if you can, getting into see the Fire Academy, aka The Rock, is certainly very impressive. But getting in can be tough and you will certainly need to get permission ahead of time.

I would try to visit a firehouse that includes an Engine Co, Ladder Co (an aerial ladder and a tower ladder), maybe a Rescue and a Squad, or any firehouse that has special units such as Haz Mat, or even Foam units, brush units etc. A fireboat is great too but also may take some earlier planning on your part.

Some firehouses are generally more well known than others. As a result the guys that work there have visitors quite often, from ALL OVER the World. I'd recommend going to some firehouse that is busy but doesn't get the large number of visitors.

Also there's various areas of the city that have different types of buildings. From private frame dwellings to high rise apartment buildings and everything in between. There are fire companies that respond to the two major international airports in the city and deal with airliner incidents. Some fire companies are involved in water rescue incidents due to their response area being near major waterways. It goes on and on.

You may also want to check out an FDNY/EMS Station. Some have special units such as Haz Tac Ambulances, Rescue Ambulances, or the MERV (Mobile Emergency Response Vehicle) that responds as a mobile hospital unit at major incidents throughout the city.

You won't see this place in one day or one week. It's a huge place and for any guy interested in the fire service, "it's the place to be".

There's Great restaurants too. One of my favorite areas is the Belmont section of the Bronx. The Arthur Ave/183-187 St area.

Not too far from there (Southern Blvd/East Tremont Ave) is a memorial where 87 people lost their lives in a "mis-named" place called; "Happyland". A small, but over packed, illegal social club. 

Good luck. Be a gentleman and respectful. Try to contact a couple of places ahead of time about a visit. Don't try to do too much because it just can't be done.

I'm still impressed with the place and I've been "hooked" since way back in 1968. (Wow, that's 50 years ago). I'm still learning about it too.

Bronxboy said:
scamall dubh said:
If you head up to the 18th make sure you have your Scott?s with a couple of spare cylinders in the trunk.
Yeah, they love to eat cabbage in the 18th and you know what that creates. You?ll need your Scott and extra cylinders just to survive dinner. But be careful, there?s a cranky, shabbily dressed chief in quarters that isn?t very volley friendly, unless you bring him ice cream.
Shabbily dressed?  You must really pay a lot of attention to that BC

enginecap said:
Bronxboy said:
scamall dubh said:

I?ve known him for many years throughout his illustrious career and we?ve broken each other?s chops every step of the way.

Bronxboy said:
enginecap said:
Bronxboy said:
scamall dubh said:

I?ve known him for many years throughout his illustrious career and we?ve broken each other?s chops every step of the way.

Well said, Brendan.?