In-Line Pumping

Does the FDNY term "in-line pumping" mean the same thing as "forward stretch" or "forward lay" in departments other than FDNY?

Bulldog

Bulldog
Simple answer, no.  In-line pumping refers to having more than one engine between the hydrant and the point of use for the water.  It's normally used on multiple alarm fires so that hydrant farther from the scene and in many cases on a different water main can be used to supply water.  Another name I've heard used for it is Relay Pumping.

Inline Pumping for FDNY is 1 engine keys or wraps hydrant and drives away from hydrant. Supplies itself with 3 1/2" hose to gated inlet, used when hydrant may be in front of building this allows ladder to take front, dead end street hydrant may be at street opening and building may be further down block. Relay pumping uses as many pumpers as needed to move water to a remote location or area with bad hydrants or if fire is in remote location and no hydrants available.
When inline pumping rule of thumb is 10-6-6-3, 10PSI or more from hydrant, minimum 6" main, you can stretch 6 lengths of 3 1/2 with rig or hand stretch 3.

We used to have several lengths of 4 1/2" (super pumper) hose because of the broken condition of most of the hydrants in Bushwick. If we saw smoke and or fire, we would drop the large hose at a good hydrant if possible. I would safely say that 50 to 75% of the hydrants didn't work.

I never understood the 3 length by hand & 6 lengths by the rig thing in the books  regarding 3 1/2.....any ENG or SQ that i was  an Officer  in always had at least 10 lengths of 3 1/2 connected in the 3 1/2 bed.....so did the ENGs in my BN when i was a Chief.

To my knowledge there are differences between Relay Pumping and In Line Pumping. 

]b]Relay Pumping[/b] is when one company has a positive water source or from a drafting and feeds a line to the next company who then feeds a line to the next company etc. etc. etc. until water is provided to the attack companies.  Kind of like a relay race with the water being the baton being passed up to the unit or units feeding the actual attack lines.

In Line Pumping[/size] is when a pumper connects to a hydrant with hard suction. and charge it's attack line or lines.  Now once flow has been obtained the MPO can now gate down the hydrant feed line until the inlet compound guage reads 0 without losing water flow to the attack lines.  a second pumper can now pull up next to original pumper.  now using hard suction connect the 2 pumpers.  Once the connection has been made ungate the feed line  allowing the second pumper to  use the residual pressure / flow to supply additional line or lines.

steve

Inline pumping is A Procedure in which a pumper is placed close to a fire and receives its water supply through a hoseline stretched between the pumper and a hydrant. This is used when the hydrant comes before the fire building as opposed to back stretching when the fire building is reached first and then the hydrant.

The process of supplying a second or third pumper through hard suctions from one hydrant was known as tandem pumping. This practice went out the window with computerized pumps. They computer picks up the air entering the opened suction inlet and raise the RPMs to the max before idling out. It worked on the non computerized Mack's and Ward's.

68jk09 said:
I never understood the 3 length by hand & 6 lengths by the rig thing in the books  regarding 3 1/2.....any ENG or SQ that i was  an Officer  in always had at least 10 lengths of 3 1/2 connected in the 3 1/2 bed.....so did the ENGs in my BN when i was a Chief.

When I was in 48 Engine we would ride with 10 lengths of 3 1/2. A lot of people wrongly thought that 6 lengths was the most you could carry in the hose bed. Used all 10 lengths off a hydrant a few times with no problem.

Exactly....... always room for more than 6 lengths of 3 1/2 in the bed...i always said it does no good sitting in the basement... put it on the rig.....the only hard & fast rule is that more than 6 lengths of 1 3/4 WILL  cause a friction loss problem.