Interesting First Quarter Numbers

Jan - March of 2010 had 600 all hands, and 47 multiples
Jan - March of 2011 had 696 all hands, and 67 multiples

that's a 16% increase in all hands, and a 42.5% increase in multiple alarms

and this year they have lost the fifth man on some 60 engine companies and still talking about cutting 20 firehouses

I expected the number of multiples to increase, if for no other reason than manpower, when the 5th man was cut.  It just makes sense that when you cut manning at a fire by 15-20%, chiefs call for additional alarms to bring the manpower they would have had before the cuts.  I leave it up to the bean counters which is more expensive . . . cutting the manning or stripping the city of resources.  Just look at the Bronx the other day when they had a 5th & a large brush fire. 

Do the bean counters really care NO they are not the one in 100 degree or below freezing weather doing the work.

raybrag said:
I expected the number of multiples to increase, if for no other reason than manpower, when the 5th man was cut.  It just makes sense that when you cut manning at a fire by 15-20%, chiefs call for additional alarms to bring the manpower they would have had before the cuts.  I leave it up to the bean counters which is more expensive . . . cutting the manning or stripping the city of resources.  Just look at the Bronx the other day when they had a 5th & a large brush fire.

Very good point there Ray. I really hate to say this, but just as we are seeing the number of fires increasing, of course the number of fatalities will no dount increase also. The fact is that over time, what most have predicted will no doubt happen. Human beings will die.
  Your post Steve (svd385) proves a very good point. Yet, we've only just begun.

And, with less staffing on the Engine companies, you are going to see more multiple alarms, and all hands transmitted as well.