Irons

Can anyone explain how the "irons" position works in the FDNY? Here in Boston our "Open Up Man" carries a Halligan and Maul (2 lbs sledge with 10 in. handle). The "Open Up Man" also carries the Rabbit tool if needed depending on the building type. Seems the Irons set up works great for the FDNY. What I was wondering was who operates the axe portion of the Irons? Does this F.F. have another tools assigned? Here in Boston there just isn't enough help to operate with 2 guys, thats the reason for the Maul instead of the Flat head. Any info would be great, I'm doing some research on forcible entry, trying to see how other departments do it.

http://www.fdnyfirezone.org/firehouse/team_members/truck_company/

Halligan and an axe

So just to clarify, I assume its the officer that will operate the axe when necessary?

Forcible entry team is two firefighters plus the officer.  The hook and can man can operate the axe if necessary.

Most Irons guys carry either a maul/halligan or axe/halligan and rabbitt tool. There are 2 members plus the Officer on the inside team. The other member is the Can Man he carries a 6' hook and 2 1/2 gallon extinguisher, these members team to force entry in apartment by using rabbitt tool or conventional forceible entry(swinging axe into halligan). In the high rise or project areas usually the maul is carried. Hope this helped