Ladder 62

nfd2004 said:
You're right "Anesti".  Another was the fire that took the life of Al Ronaldson at a fire on Fordham Rd in the Bronx. Up until this time there had been a few years pass by in which there were no LODDs.

I was advised by a retired member of the FDNY, who responded to that fire that took the life of FF Al Ronaldson was 3/5/91. I believe at that point the policy of using a Ladder Co as a FAST Company was already in place. I have to go with the FAST Companies being started in the late 80s.

The roman numeral brother is right. It started out as the FAT engine, then became FAST Truck. I was in the engine at the time and we got an extra radio because of this (unlike now where everyone has a radio).  I don't  know the exact date but it was in the nineties.

We didn't care for the term FAT Engine, especially since all the slugs were in the truck!

mack

Administrator
I did stretch the concept of a FAST truck back to the Triangle Shirtwaist.  Sorry if it misled anyone.  I was stretching the Ladder 62 fiction.  The pictures I used above were L 18, as Gman noted.  The tacky gold leaf trim on the Mack pumper is on E 17's rig.

nfd2004 said:
nfd2004 said:
You're right "Anesti".  Another was the fire that took the life of Al Ronaldson at a fire on Fordham Rd in the Bronx. Up until this time there had been a few years pass by in which there were no LODDs.

I was advised by a retired member of the FDNY, who responded to that fire that took the life of FF Al Ronaldson was 3/5/91. I believe at that point the policy of using a Ladder Co as a FAST Company was already in place. I have to go with the FAST Companies being started in the late 80s.

was that the fire at the darlenes dept store on fordham and morris?

Al Ronaldson was killed at a fire on Fordham and Creston Ave. There is a plaque on the Creston Ave side of the building south of Fordham. Darlenes is one block away at Fordham and Morris Ave. This store had two multiple alarm fires a few years apart.

turk132 said:
Al Ronaldson was killed at a fire on Fordham and Creston Ave. There is a plaque on the Creston Ave side of the building south of Fordham. Darlenes is one block away at Fordham and Morris Ave. This store had two multiple alarm fires a few years apart.

never knew that, ill have to check it out. anyone know anything about that darlene's fire especially the last one which gutted it around the same time frame. anyway are you guys talking about the right on store which is right on the corner of fordham and creston, i rember that store had a job or 2 in the early 90's.

ok  found a article about it so its in the are of where citibank is http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/06/nyregion/often-a-hero-a-firefighter-dies-on-the-job.html

Google Maps has the address as 118 E Fordham Rd, and the name on the store is Right On. That is the building of the Ronaldson Fire. Darlene's was gutted by fire twice. Can't remember the dates. I know the building was fully sprinklered. We had a job there in a rack of clothing which the sprinklers controlled. Middle of the day fire, one of several in stores on Fordham Rd and the Grand concourse area over a period of time.

T

Towerldr44

The Truck used in the first season of rescue me was being used in paterson nj my home town it ran out of headquarters on madison ave

B

Bigandy

Paterson is a good place to catch jobs. Probably one of the busiest department in NJ besides Camden, Jersey City, and Newark. My neck of the woods  ;D

Towerldr44 said:
The Truck used in the first season of rescue me was being used in paterson nj my home town it ran out of headquarters on madison ave
:-X
Paterson's Rescue Me truck is in service as Ladder 2 and is stationed across town from headquarters, it was the first of three aerial puchases by the city from E-One, with the midmount(L-1), and the tiller (L-3) being puchased immediatley after. The other E-One featured in the first season is in service in Lopatcong Twp, Warren County in Northwest Jersey as Truck 74-69.