Ladders and EMS runs?

Question:

I was looking at the runs and workers list for 1995 and noticed that ladder companies had (few) EMS runs during the year? Did they normally take in EMS runs when the engine was unavailable? When did this stop? Thanks in advance !

Educated guess

When you hear (example). L44 OOS Medicals

I believe they cover all Medicals in their first due area/maybe a couple second due areas

Signal73 said:
Educated guess

When you hear (example). L44 OOS Medicals

I believe they cover all Medicals in their first due area/maybe a couple second due areas

L44 OOS Medicals means the company is OOS for the 9x6 tour and the on duty members report to the Medical Office for annual medicals

Ladder companies do not do EMS runs, members are not paid for CFRD on Ladders unless they come upon a situation and perform duties without an Engine present. many members are certified in the Ladder companies but do not get paid the differential.

grumpy grizzly said:
Interesting. Both Boston and Chicago dispatch ladder/truck companies for medical runs.

Grump correct me if I?m wrong but BFD sends the engines first usually correct?

While monitoring BFD I have heard engines, ladders, and even the rescues respond to EMS calls. At one time they would alternate by months, one month for engines, next for ladders, etc. We have 34 engines and 20 ladder companies so I guess they figured the truckies were getting too many EMS calls during their month.

While leaving Fenway two weeks age I went past a man lying on the sidewalk. There were two policemen standing in the area and I was surprised that a truck company responded in to offer assistance.