Leather fire helmet painting

I have a New Yorker that I want to have refurbed and repainted. Can anyone suggest a reputable vendor? I don't want to send it back to Cairns.

Josh

Josh, I don't know of any official vendors. I've always refurbed my collection myself. I just finished my work helmet (N6A-Sam Houston) and it came out great. All you need is some sandpaper (I use 100 grit or finer), a water soluble/non petroleum paint remover, Sherwin Williams gray primer & a Sherwin Williams top coat i.e. gloss black, gloss yellow, etc..

If you do it yourself be careful sanding near the scroll design on the brim and don't use anything that may gouge or puncture the leather.

Dean-o

I had my leather helmet repainted by Smoke Showing just before last Xmas.  It was originally yellow and I had it painted black.  He did an excellent job.  I also had him add a new d-ring and frontpiece holder.  With shipping it was, I think, $135, but would have been less for the painting only.  If I remember correctly he is located in Annville, PA.  His communication with me was great.....several phone calls to make sure of what I wanted him to do.  I would highly reccommend him.

I would say do it yourself.....i have done several.......just avoid sanding on the stitches or you will wear them down .....also i would skip any kind of paint remover especially if you are repainting the same color........just sandpaper your only cost will be paint & sandpaper & it will not leave your possesion. 

I agree how  bad  is  the leather's  condition,  if  you have  open cracks  in the brim  or  even weakened  areas  of the brim  I would be a bit  more concerned  then  some typical paint  chipping  and loss... One  place  to  find  what The manufacturer recomended for use is  the Fire store on the web site  look in the Cairns  leathers  section and  they include  paints  that was recomended  by Cairns  before  MSA was  involved ... using a light 100 grit  sand paper  to basicly  ruff up the surface prime  and Paint  color is  pretty  easy stuff ,  using  masking tape  on the brass parts, bourkes,  and LIner  if you choose  to spray rustoleum  flat black  looks  stupid use  gloss which will also  look  stupid  until it gets  broken in,...lol  (Old  schooler  here)  I've  painted a few  myself and  the  paint I  put on  always  was better  then the 80's  epa  chip o matic  paint...  remember  the  80's  fords  where  you would drivce  down the highway  and the paint  would literally peel off?  helmets  were  right  with em for a while..  ;D ::)

Smaller openings can be filled with the two  part plumbers epoxy that you knead together then press into place ,  then sand ....if neded ....for larger repairs on a leather helmet brim try using a fiberglass auto repair kit. 

I have a question on replacing the inside of a 5A New Yorker.  How do you get the brass retaining band out. 

You do not take the brass band out......however to remove the flaps/liner....you carefully lift the brass edge somewhat all around with a screwdriver ....then grasp the earlaps & bring them somewhat together inside this will allow the earflaps & sewn in circle of wire to come out....the actual brass remains in place....... when replacing it again squeeze it somewhat until it fits in ...then tap around the ring lightly w/a small hammer to close it up......also before tapping it down make sure the liner is in straight.... in other words so both edges of the flaps are even on your head......only take the inside out if you are replacing the inside....for painting the helmet w/a brush leave it in & be careful......for spray painting it just carefully mask around the opening. 

My intention is not to steal the Brother's post, but would like to ask one more question.  Instead of sanding what about a light sandblasting.  If anyone has done this do they know the cost?

bklk said:
My intention is not to steal the Brother's post, but would like to ask one more question.  Instead of sanding what about a light sandblasting.  If anyone has done this do they know the cost?

I had an old black one and when I became a chief this year I refurbed it to white. My buddy has a sandblaster and he used a light sand, it took a little time but worked out good and didn't damage the helmet or stitching. The only process I screwed up was painting, I painted it well, but the osha inspector failed the helmet for using the wrong type of paint. No lie, he smelled my helmet. VBCAPT, and the Chief seem to have a lot of experience with this, whatever they tell you to do, is what you should do.