More recent number changes for EMS

I was told that FDNY/EMS has changed some of their numbers. For example "18 Zebra" has now become "18 Rescue". Is that true for the Rescue Medic and Haz Tac Units ?  Can somebody post an updated list ? (only the newer number changes). Thank you.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The changes happened sometime ago.

Here is a link to the unit list
http://fdnyems.com/EMS%20Unit%20Location%20Charts.pdf

Pretty Much they took one ALS haztac in each boro and made them a Rescue Medic/ALS Haztac. The Haztac Only Medic units are still Zebra units.
They were talking about adding some more units but I have not scene that happen yet.

Next big change will be the removal of the Hospital 21 units (St Vinnys) BLS units 06C, 06K, 07A and ALS units 02V, 07W
Vinnys picked up some units from FDNY sometime back and then added another with Hosp 19 closing.
Word is FDNY is going to take all 5 units back and not give them away.

I realize I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but is there any chance the dept. will eventually take over all ems units citywide? I know cost and revenue would have to balance out.

tbendick

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing I ever heard them talk about was getting the medics back. They can bill at a higher rate, this also goes along with them wanting to have one medic on each unit so they can double the amount of medic units.