No More Call Boxes??

From another board (Nassau FD Rant):

Bloomberg wants to stamp out costly city fire alarm boxes, but union says it's a dangerous move

Mayor Bloomberg wants to extinguish fire alarm boxes from city streets.
Bloomberg pitched the fiery move this week as part of his budget for fiscal year 2011, saying it would save FDNY $2.5 million.
Since 85% of calls made through the street boxes are false alarms, Bloomberg said, "In the days where everybody has cell phones ... the city would be just as safe without them."
Only 140 structural fires last year out of 26,666 were first called in through an alarm box - and phone calls on those fires came in after the boxes were pulled, according to the FDNY.
But a change in the law is needed to scrap the 15,000 boxes because in 1997 a federal judge said such a move violates the civil rights of the deaf.
The court decision came a year after then-Mayor Rudy Giuliani and the City Council agreed to shrink the outdated system. Other cities, including Los Angeles, Philadelphia and Chicago have already yanked them.
City Hall argues there is new technology that allows the deaf to contact authorities quickly.
But the fire dispatchers union said relying exclusively on phones in an emergency is dangerous.
"We know the phone system is not dependable. On 9/11, for instance, the phones stopped working," said David Rosenzweig, president of the fire dispatchers union.
FDNY officials say the boxes are costly to maintain and they'll eliminate 19 electricians through attrition and cancel a contract with a private vendor by deactivating the system.

Don't know anything about statistics, but I'd say there must be savings been made by using this system, not only costs.
And what about saving lives? Every live is one. Also is the combination of a phone call and a an emergency on a box a double check for the location.

I think when politicians have these idea's it will happen sooner or later. Hope the saving will go to civil safety in an other way and hope there will stay boxes at important and busy locations.
Not just for safety, but also for not losing these kinds of historal items.

I'd like to know your opinions guy's.

Honestly...and please...don't kill me for this...I think it's a good idea. I haven't seen them used in....well...years. BUT! I don't think this is gonna put much of a dent in the budget woes. The UCT needs to go is what they should be lloking at.

NYBravest82 said:
Honestly...and please...don't kill me for this...I think it's a good idea. I haven't seen them used in....well...years. BUT! I don't think this is gonna put much of a dent in the budget woes. The UCT needs to go is what they should be lloking at.

Actually I heard them used numerous times in were they have gotten only the ERS box and gotten 10-75's. I also heard and later went to a pin job announced over the ERS system (the cars actually took out the phone booth). They do indeed work...and in the poorer nieghborhoods, were not everyone has a cell phone, they are vital to the communities.

My opinion is obviously biased but I will extol the points, in my mind, that can justify their existence:

• They are powered by the central office, not Con-Edison.
  • They are independent of the Public Switched Telephone Network.
  • They use private infrastructure.
  • They will work when the phones (wire line or wireless) don't.
  • They will work in an extended blackout.

As we are being reminded, NYC is target 1. It is foolhardy to remove that which can be of use in a crisis. It's also foolhardy to combine FD, PD, and EMS into 1 facility, but that's a different topic.

M

mmattyphoto

for some reason the politicians just get the point of what fd347 has said. they just want to understand the system that stood the test of time.

FD347......would appreciate your take on this.  If you had to take an educated guess, what percentage of ERS / Pulled Box alarms are 92's?

I don't have access to the numbers. That 85% quote sounds like it could be in the ballpark. However, a simple policy change could change that to almost zero.

Most 92's are between the hours of 2300 and 0800. From 0800 to 2300 hours there's a policy in place called Fallback whereby if there's no contact with anyone at the ERS box, no units are sent. That policy ends at 2300 hours. If Fallback were in place 24 hours, the 92s would drop off radically. They didn't want to do it back in 1996 and I'm sure they still don't want to do it.

There would be collateral damage though. Companies run numbers would fall too.

347, your absolutely correct, they should remain. Plus when I grew up in Brooklyn, I remember one summer evening, around 1985, was walking on Flatlands Ave near Remsen in Canarsie, when 3 up to no good punks, came my way and had a gut feeling, uh oh hear we go again. I ran to the corner of Est 92 st and Flatlands and pulled the box, i can remember hearing it have a mild ring to it, --- I did this because, my father, who is retired NYPD, always taught me to pull the box if needed help,NOW!!! Someone will always come. Back to story.
I kept running and dodging around cars while being chased, still don't know why or what they wanted. Believe it was all over race. Anyway who showed up in about 95 SECONDS!!!!!  Engine 257 with 170. I WAS SO HAPPY when i saw them turn onto Flatlands Ave. I was saved and I was. The punks said some obscene remarks and headed the other direction while I walked up to the Fireman in the lighter blue shirt to apologize and tell him I pulled it and why. He smiled, laughed and stated " that is why we are here, you need us, Call or Pull this".
My point is..... Most likely that was marked as a 10-92. But it wasn't. Not for me. They saved me from physical injury and being 12 and beaten up along side Flatlands Ave might off left some mental shame with it. I would not of been able to out run the kids forever, and no cars stopped to help. They Saved me that day that they will never know!!!
I am sure that I am not the only one that this has happened to in the past.