NY FIRE PATROL

The 1906 Fire Patrol #2 -- 84 West Third Street
===============================================================================

FIRE PATROL #2, Greenwich Village

Last edited by a moderator:
I had many great tours there with a great cast of characters. Thanks for the memories.

Discharged USMC March '68 went on the Patrol two weeks later .......2 days of instruction then assigned to Patrol 3 until 9-14-68 when i was appt to the FDNY ...short time in the Patrol but a good time....many friends there back then before & after me who went on to the FDNY..NYPD..HFD..BFD etc..... i am really surprised that the Underwriters found it cost effective to close it

FROM NYCFIREWIRE...... PATROL 5.....

68jk09 said:
Discharged USMC March '68 went on the Patrol two weeks later .......2 days of instruction then assigned to Patrol 3 until 9-14-68 when i was appt to the FDNY ...short time in the Patrol but a good time....many friends there back then before & after me who went on to the FDNY..NYPD..HFD..BFD etc..... i am really surprised that the Underwriters found it cost effective to close it

I have two very good friends who worked in the Fire Patrol back in those days. They both went on to become Bridgeport (CT) Firefighters and spent most of their careers fighting fires during Bridgeport's own set of War Years.

One was Paul W., who I believe had been an FDNY Auxiliary with Engine 308 (?).

Another was Bill B., who I grew up with, and as kids, our fathers worked in the same firehouse together. As kids we played with our toy fire trucks on our living room floors together. Both of us were first introduced to the FDNY as visitors at Brooklyn's Rescue 2. We both chased the fire trucks together during the very busy FDNY War Years.....and after 60 years, we still talk about how lucky we were to be around for all of this.

Both Paul W., and Bill B., have ALWAYS spoke of how they enjoyed working in the NYC Fire Patrol.

mack

Administrator
NYFP websites:

http://www.fpny123.net/sitemap.html

http://www.fpny123.net/index1.html

NYFP LODDs:

RANK NAME DATE OF DEATH
Patrolman Hugh Luke December 10, 1858

NYFP_Luke.jpg

Patrolman Samuel Morgan April, 1859
Patrolman Theodore Mangan November 4, 1862
Patrolman J.H. Sarbach September, 1863
Patrolman John S. Carman October 30, 1863

NYFP_Carmen.png

Patrolman Patrick Horan January 16, 1864
Patrolman John T. Stevens December 16, 1878
Patrolman John Spellman October 31, 1883
Patrolman Charles H. Smith November 27, 1884
Lieutenant John Murray May 10, 1888
Patrolman James Spellman Jr. March 17, 1891

NYFP_Spellman.png

Patrolman Agustus Milner December 27, 1893

Killed in collapse while operating at a fire at 436 Pearl Street - Fire Patrol 1

Sergeant George W. Dennis October 15, 1906
Patrolman Joseph A. Tierney December 28, 1906
Patrolman John M. Fallon January 10, 1908

NYFP_Fallon.jpg

Patrolman Henry Burgess March 1, 1910
Patrolman George Ganz December 12, 1912
Captain Peter J. Cornwell February 9, 1916
Patrolman Jerome J. Carroll October 13, 1922
Patrolman Edward MacSwiney December 26, 1922
Lieutenant Frederick G. Wohm July 13, 1924
Patrolman Eugene Brennan February 5, 1941
Patrolman Henry Stanton February 8, 1942
Patrolman Frederick C. Lehman October 16, 1949

Killed in collapse while operating at 2nd alarm 21 W 17th Street

Patrolman Daniel Shea October 16, 1949

Killed in collapse while operating at 2nd alarm at 21 W 17th Street

Patrolman William Bohlman August 18, 1952
Sergeant Michael McGee February 14, 1958*
Patrolman James F. Devine February 14, 1958*

NYFP_Devine.jpg

Patrolman Louis J. Brusati February 14, 1958*
Patrolman Michael R. Tracy February 14, 1958*

NYFP_Tracy.jpg

Patrolman Daniel R. Quirke July 25, 1964
Patrolman Keith Roma September 11, 2001

Srq_Hv_Zrb_Blimx_Zg-800x450-no_Pad.jpg

http://www.silive.com/september-11/index.ssf/2010/09/keith_roma_27_fire_patrolman_c.html

* Wooster Street Collapse: 4 NYFP and 2 FDNY members (FF Bernard Blumenthal, L 20; FF William Schmidt, L 1) killed

http://www.nyfd.com/history/wooster/wooster_street.html

http://www.firegroundleadership.com...fireground-1958-wooster-street-fire-collapse/

RIP - Never forget

Last edited:
I'm sure some of the guys here are also familiar with former Fire Patrol member Eddie Pops. He grew up in the Bronx near 75/33 and as I understand it became a buff of that firehouse.

He went on the Fire Patrol and played a huge role in helping to locate the missing firefighters at the 23rd Street Collapse back in the 1960s (1966 - I think). That collapse killed 12 members of the FDNY, and up until that September Day in 2001, it was the largest loss of life to the members of the FDNY operating at a single incident.

As I remember it, Hartford, Ct was giving a test. I think it was when the Hartford Firefighters had gone from a 56 hour work week to a 42 hour work week. The amount of fire activity in that city was just starting to pick up. In order to fill those positions, the City of Hartford opened up the test to people living outside the city.

Eddie Pops was one of the successful candidates and began his career. He retired as Captain of Hartford's only Rescue Co (called Tac 1) with a very good reputation among the members. As well as being recognized for going above and beyond. He was also featured as one of the firefighters in the book called: "Firefighters" by Dennis Smith.

I don't really know him personally, but I believe he is now the Fire Chief of a Volunteer Fire Dept in Vermont. He has made visits back to Connecticut, accepting some "used" apparatus to be used in his town because they just couldn't afford to buy their own. 

mack

Administrator
nfd2004 said:
I'm sure some of the guys here are also familiar with former Fire Patrol member Eddie Pops. He grew up in the Bronx near 75/33 and as I understand it became a buff of that firehouse.

He went on the Fire Patrol and played a huge role in helping to locate the missing firefighters at the 23rd Street Collapse back in the 1960s (1966 - I think). That collapse killed 12 members of the FDNY, and up until that September Day in 2001, it was the largest loss of life to the members of the FDNY operating at a single incident.

As I remember it, Hartford, Ct was giving a test. I think it was when the Hartford Firefighters had gone from a 56 hour work week to a 42 hour work week. The amount of fire activity in that city was just starting to pick up. In order to fill those positions, the City of Hartford opened up the test to people living outside the city.

Eddie Pops was one of the successful candidates and began his career. He retired as Captain of Hartford's only Rescue Co (called Tac 1) with a very good reputation among the members. As well as being recognized for going above and beyond. He was also featured as one of the firefighters in the book called: "Firefighters" by Dennis Smith.

I don't really know him personally, but I believe he is now the Fire Chief of a Volunteer Fire Dept in Vermont. He has made visits back to Connecticut, accepting some "used" apparatus to be used in his town because they just couldn't afford to buy their own.

Last edited:
Willy, Ed Pops is the Chief of Corinth VT Fire Dept.
This is a link about the donated pumper from Oxford CT.

jking7 said:
Willy, Ed Pops is the Chief of Corinth VT Fire Dept.
This is a link about the donated pumper from Oxford CT.
http://www.vnews.com/Archives/2016/02/b2-brf-corinth-ac-vn-020716
I have known Ed since the '60s.....what a great FD guy....glad to see he is still heavily involved in the Fire Service as we have lost touch thru the years .....in addition to being an Active FF/Officer thru the years he also has an impressive Fire Photo website  reddevilphotography.net  but it does not seem to come up anymore ?