October 26, 1962 5-5-5-5 Box 7027 - Queens

mack

Administrator
Firemen Richard Andrews, James Marino, Captain William Russell of Engine 325, Firemen Richard Gifford, George Zahn of Engine 238 and Fireman Francis Egan of Ladder 115, were killed by a falling wall while overhauling at a 2-story brick factory fire.  

Queens box 7027 was transmitted at 2133 for a fire at the Sefu Soap and Fat Co.,  at 44-15 56th Road in Maspeth. 4 alarms were transmitted.  The fire was declared under control at 2242.  Approximately 20 members were overhauling underneath a loading shed when a wall and ceiling collapsed without warning.  The dead and injured firemen were buried in 6 feet of debris. 

FIREFIGHTER RICHARD ANDREWS         ENGINE 325      
FIREFIGHTER FRANCIS X. EGAN (2)       LADDER 115
FIREFIGHTER RICHARD P. GIFFORD       ENGINE 238
FIREFIGHTER JAMES F. MARINO           ENGINE 325
CAPTAIN     WILLIAM F. RUSSELL       ENGINE 325
FIREFIGHTER GEORGE J. ZAHN (2)       ENGINE 238

Note - The 7th LODD Firefighter depicted on the autum WNYF cover was Firefighter James J. Ruane, Engine 69, November 17, 1962 (died from smoke and burns at 535 W. 150th Street)

mack

Administrator
New York City, NY Fire At Soap Plant, Oct 1962

6 FIREMEN DIE AS SOAP PLANT WALL CRUMBLES.

New York (AP) -- Six dead firemen were pulled early today from the debris of a collapsed wall at a fire-gutted soap factory in Queens.
More than 20 firemen were trapped Friday night when the side wall and part of the second floor gave way during the blaze. Five were hospitalized.
The whereabouts of the building's watchman and his assistant were not known, but firemen said they were not believed to be in the building.
The fire department identified the six dead as:
CAPT. WILLIAM RUSSELL, of Wantagh, N.Y.
Fireman FRANCIS EGAN, Merrick, N.Y.
Fireman GEORGE ZAHN, Jackson Heights.
Fireman RICHARD GIFFORD, Belrose.
Fireman JAMES MARINO, Corona.
Probationary Fireman RICHARD ANDREWS, Queens.
The fire broke out from an unknown cause around 9 p.m. in the two-story brick, 73-by-50-foot building housing the Sefu Fat and Soap Co.
The four-alarm fire was brought under control at 10:50 p.m., and shortly thereafter the wall fell. A fifth alarm was sounded to bring emergency equipment to the scene.
Firemen were walking in and out of the first floor of the building from a loading platform outside.
Then a voice cried out: "Look out, there goes ......"
The sentence was never finished.
The wall and ceiling tumbled down, burying the fireman under tons of bricks and other debris.

Charleston Daily Mail West Virginia 1962-10-27

mack

Administrator

A sad note, all deceased members except the Captain had not even made 1st grade at the time of this tragedy.  The dates of appointment are all about 2 years before this fire.  There must have been a lot of appointments in the early 1960s.  The appointment dates also appear to be individual dates (e.g. Mar/Apr/May/Jun 1960). 

Chief your absolutely correct. R.I.P.
That is the one amazing thing about the Fire Dept that no other industry has -- TRADITION -- so deep rooted and the fact that we don't let ourselves forget fallen comrades.

October 26, 1962. Another sad day in the History of the FDNY. May they all Rest in Peace. You have NOT BEEN FORGOTTEN. And Thanks Mack for Posting this.

T

TheWraith

Hi everyone.  I'm new to this website.  I just joined today (01/20/11).  I am not a fireman.  I saw this story and was happy that it was posted.  One of the fireman that died at this soap factory fire (James Marino), was my relative.  I never met him because I was born 5 and-a-half years after he died.  My father told me about James back in the 1990's.  James was my blood relative, from my Paternal Grandmother's side of the family.  My father and his entire family, lived on 51st Avenue in Long Island City, Queens; from the 1920's till now.  Almost half the houses on that street, were owned by my family members.  Amodeo, Marino & Martorana were the families last names.  Fireman James lived on that street also.  Even though I never met James, I feel connected to him and am deeply saddened by his death.  James had 4 relatives that fought in World War 2 as well.  One of his family members was a flight instructor for fighter planes.  Another was a tank repairman.  Another was in combat and the 4th relative was in combat also.  3 of them made it home from the War, but the 4th family member was killed in combat.  Thank you for posting this story.  I'm happy it's on the internet now.  Have a great day everyone !