ONE MILLION VIEWS

Many of us on this web site have been following the most popular thread posted on this site. It is located in the History section. That being the "FDNY and NYC Firehouse and Fire Companies" beginning on February 12, 2012 which consisted of 147 pages. Then followed by it's second edition starting on December 31, 2017 called: "FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - second section".

Today, August 25, 2018, we are looking at a combined total number of views of more than 970,000. It is sure to reach the One Million mark soon. The first to draw such a huge interest.

It began with this sites member "mack", aka Joe M., giving many very detailed and inclusive reports on the history of each firehouse and fire company in New York City, including photos and videos. It has brought in other members contributions as well. We have here a collection of FDNY history that perhaps could only be compared to what belongs in the archives of the FDNY itself.

Of course this all began with an idea and vision that a young FDNY Firefighter named Tommy Bendick had of creating such a web site.

Some of us more senior members of this site go back 50 or even 60 years ago, when things were so much different within the FDNY then. Using terms such as DRB, ERS-No Contact, Adaptive Response, TCU's, Combo Companies, Rapid Water, even a time when bells indicated a response. The non stop amount of radio traffic, even a place called Fort Apache that had a famous movie as well as a documentary made about it. Famous books have also been written about some of this history.

There was no computer aided dispatching, few EMS runs, bunker gear was unheard of, and 1 3/4 inch hose was a new idea.

In addition to the Most Viewed Thread on this site in the History Section, there are many other threads presented that members have contributed to. For the younger members who were not around to experience some of this history, many stories have been told, along with photos and videos presented. There was the tragic Happyland Social Club fire that claimed 87 civilian lives. Then without warning our country changed forever on September 11, 2001.

Today of course it's hard to even imagine what it was like. Some of those threads include:

"7-13-77 The Blackout" - posted July 13, 2013
"Fort Apache '73" - posted on November 27, 2011
"NY Fire Patrol" - posted June 20, 2017
"7-1-75 NYC Layoffs" - posted July 1, 2015
"FDNY Runs and Workers" - posted February 22, 2013
"The War Years" - posted April 22, 2015
"Oh Those Busy Fourth of July's" - posted July 4, 2009
"The People's Firehouse # 1" - posted October 24, 2017
"Remembering September 11, 2001" - posted September 10, 2015 
"My Younger Buff Years" - posted April 26, 2009

nfd2004 said:
Many of us on this web site have been following the most popular thread posted on this site. It is located in the History section. That being the "FDNY and NYC Firehouse and Fire Companies" beginning on February 12, 2012 which consisted of 147 pages. Then followed by it's second edition starting on December 31, 2017 called: "FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - second section".

Today, August 25, 2018, we are looking at a combined total number of views of more than 970,000. It is sure to reach the One Million mark soon. The first to draw such a huge interest.

It began with this sites member "mack", aka Joe M., giving many very detailed and inclusive reports on the history of each firehouse and fire company in New York City, including photos and videos. It has brought in other members contributions as well. We have here a collection of FDNY history that perhaps could only be compared to what belongs in the archives of the FDNY itself.

Of course this all began with an idea and vision that a young FDNY Firefighter named Tommy Bendick had of creating such a web site.

Members of Nycfire.net, today, September 18, 2018 at approximately 2:20 pm, you are witness to a Most Historic Event.

After the huge amount of work and effort put into both the "FDNY and NYC Firehouse and Fire Companies", as well as it's second edition called; "FDNY and NYC Firehouses and Fire Companies - second section", by "mack" and all of you who contributed as well, "It is now time to make the Official Announcement and celebrate.

These two threads, combined together have now reached a new record - THE ONE MILLION VIEWS.

So let us all join in on this very historic and joyous moment. Let's all THANK "mack", as well as all those members who helped to make it all happen.

As you watch this video, LET THE CELEBRATION BEGIN.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvT3udhlf0E 

Ray, "raybrag", maybe on a few others, but this One Million Views is all legit. It is all earned and well deserved.

I started keeping track a few weeks ago. As it got closer to that special number of views, I started watching more often. Today (9/18) I had actually checked several times to make sure I didn't miss it by too many views. When I added the number of views up on my calculator and it said "1,000,033" - it was time.

Not only did it reach the One Million Views mark, but I'm sure the hours spent getting all that information and then presenting it took at least One Million HOURS too.

I just hope that somehow it is possible for the FDNY administration to archive all of that information. I hope that somehow we can too. As I understand it, the site owner, Lt Tommy Bendick is able to do that.

One of the most informative and comprehensive threads on the web by far. Thanx to all for what you do!

Congratulations, mack; that's quite an achievement.  And Bill, thanks for letting us know  Keep up the grand work, guys!

Yes, congratulations Joe. Great job with the history. And thanks to the scorekeeper.

I would also like to thank all the contributors

Bill, don't forget to stop at the "NEW" Mickey D's at Fordham Rd. & Southern Blvd., they have an Uncle Bill special available all day

As many of us so often do, we read the latest replies to the "Firehouse - 2nd section" thread originally started by Joe M., aka "mack".

Most of us have no idea of the tremendous amount of work and effort that he must put into each and every reply. The amount of research, the photos, the LODDs, the videos, "Nothing short of Amazing".

Although I haven't been keeping track lately, today I just happened to look.

In the HISTORY Section:

Firehouse - 2nd section - Almost 70,00 views
Firehouse - Original  - Almost 994,000 views

Now making a TOTAL of 1,064,000 views

Together now both threads OVER ONE MILLION VIEWS. The MOST POPULAR Thread on this site. What a GREAT JOB there "mack".

On a side note - as some of you know, "mack's" father was a retired B/C in the FDNY and he also has a son on a very busy Ladder Co in Boston. "mack" is also a retired very high ranking military officer and he still holds down a fulltime job at the U.S. Pentagon.

Where he finds time to add to that GREAT Firehouse thread enjoyed by so many of us, "I have no idea".

But THANKS "mack" for the Great Job you do here for us.