POL Gears up landing

T

Ten-seventy-seven

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15543209

Bulldog

Bulldog
A pilot certainly did a great job setting it down and keeping it straight down the runway!

Over the next few weeks we're going to hear about how the crew saved this aircraft and they did.  What I think you will also hear about is how someone didn't do something and caused the nose and main landing gears to not extend.  Most large aircraft have redundant hydraulic systems.  Some military aircraft have 4, the DC-10 had 3.  Every airplane I ever worked on had separate systems for the nose and the mains. The C-5 nose was controlled by #1, the mains by #4 for example.  Seems odd that the "central hydraulic system" failed and yet they still had flaps, ailerons, rudder, and elevators .... all hydraulically operated.  I might be wrong, but I don't think we have another Sully Sullenberger here.

Dover, there's a possibility that the problem was electrical rather than hydraulic . . . a bad relay, switch gone bad,  a popped circuit breaker that wasn't noticed, etc.  But the incident did get me to thinking.  On the C-130, you have an option to crank the gear down by hand as a last resort (and believe me, THAT's no fun at all).  Is that no longer possible on an aircraft like the 767?

Ray,

I agree with the idea of the circuit breaker(s) etc.  Don't know if they can crank it down manually, but there would have to be some kind of emergency extend system.  With some aircraft, all you need to crank open is the dooors and the gear will free fall. Hydraulic up and locked, gravity down and locked!

On a 767 if there is a hydraulic failure the backup for the landing gear is a gravity drop - open the doors, let the gear freefall down, and hope that they lock in place.  Unfortunately since it's all done by gravity there's a chance not all of them may deploy successfully - in 1983, for example, Air Canada 143 did a gravity drop but the nose wheel didn't lock and gave way on landing.